Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

If liberals have 92% of the media market, do they want to control 100%?

I view the fairness doctrine or localism as a liberal power grab. Currently the liberals have about 92% of the media market and a survey during the presidental election showed that over 90% of the journalists, who are supposed to be neutral, were openly supporting Nobama.

So is the fairness doctrine a power grab by law makers to shut up opposition to their policies? Makes a person wonder. What are your thoughts?

• Shane
    Favorite Answer

I think that your 92% figure is high, but you are correct that the libs control most of the media. Anyone who denies that fact is either lying or just ignorant. They control the largest newspapers in the country, most of Hollywood, most publishing companies, most international news servives (AP, Reuters) most TV news stations (except FOX), most entertainment shows (the View, Oprah, Entertainment Tonight) most colleges and many public schools.

They don't control talk radio though, and they haven't been able to control the internet, so far, and I hope that they never do.

Media Censorship on Illegal Alien Crime and More!

The Main Stream Media is still refusing to tell the American public how bad things have gotten in Mexico. You can see our future and the future of American law enforcement officers in what is moving north into our nation due to our unsecured borders and unenforced immigration laws!

Since many people on our list are new, we feel it is time to remind everyone of the extreme threats to American law enforcement posed by uncontrolled illegal immigration.

Three illegal immigrants tried to kill American Police Officer

http://www.alipac.us/article-3965-thread-1-0.html

Mexico drug gangs threaten cops on radio, then kill them

http://www.alipac.us/article-3959-thread-1-0.html

• Linda

It isn't an entitlement...but it is private business ! I don't like it either...but things happen when things are one sided...the other side fights back and is heard. THat is what is happening. They aren't completely liberal right now...we do have the TRUTH stations such as FOX and they have an audience of 5 to 1 so that alone tells you that people want the truth. It doesn't matter if there are 100 stations and newspapers that are liberal....the one that tells the truth is number one in ratings but 5 to 1. WHAT bothers me is that it should be changed that both houses can be controlled by one party. Today the republicans are asking to post the health care bill 3 days online...post the cost and benefits that will be lost .... THAT IS ALL they asked...and dems said no! They will post a summary but not the bill. HOW FAIR IS THAT? AGAIN....it might delay something because people have to READ IT! In town meetings across the nation they are waving and reciting parts of this bill now and people ..especially the President are shocked they can and know enough to read the bill when they can't. SO now they DO NOT ALLOW US TO READ IT BECAUSE OF THAT! Yesterday they tell the insurance companies they can't talk to seniors about changes....and today the Budget committee admits seniors will lose HALF THEIR BENEFITS on this bill coming up now! THey are targeting the seniors again...and killing off babies! Sounds like more tea parties coming up.....DEMOCRATS ARE UNFAIR and they are uncompromising and they are NOT doing anything in the best interest of the country.

Do me a favor and don't embarrass yourself by asking a legit question and then choosing to use the word, "Nobama."

I think that if you have opposing beliefs of whatever is currently popular in the nation, then it will always seem like the side you disagree with has the power.

In 2002 I was extremely disheartened by 90% of the journalists who were applauding Bush for his statements about Iraq. It seemed to me like every journalist and reporter in the country was a republican.

But after some serious thought, I realized that the journalists weren't evil republicans. No. I realized that journalists pick up on the mood of the nation and then follow that in their stories. Back then most people needed something to believe in following 9/11. The media tried to give us that in Bush.

There is no question that the media sways their opinions to suit the needs of the American public. I just think it would be unfair to say that they lean conservative or liberal. They just lean whichever way is popular at the time.

Funny, it seems that now the vast majority of the public need something to believe in following the disaster that was George W. Bush. So the media is giving us that in Obama. That doesn't make the media liberal, it just makes the media intelligent.

• ck4829

92%, huh?

"Tommy Franks and the coalition forces have demonstrated the old axiom that boldness on the battlefield produces swift and relatively bloodless victory. The three-week swing through Iraq has utterly shattered skeptics' complaints."

(Fox News Channel's Tony Snow, 4/13/03)

"The only people who think this wasn't a victory are Upper Westside liberals, and a few people here in Washington."

(Charles Krauthammer, Inside Washington, WUSA-TV, 4/19/03)

"The war was the hard part. The hard part was putting together a coalition, getting 300,000 troops over there and all their equipment and winning. And it gets easier. I mean, setting up a democracy is hard, but it is not as hard as winning a war."

(Fox News Channel's Fred Barnes, 4/10/03)

"I doubt that the journalists at the New York Times and NPR or at ABC or at CNN are going to ever admit just how wrong their negative pronouncements were over the past four weeks."

(MSNBC's Joe Scarborough, 4/9/03)

"Over the next couple of weeks when we find the chemical weapons this guy was amassing, the fact that this war was attacked by the left and so the right was so vindicated, I think, really means that the left is going to have to hang its head for three or four more years."

(Fox News Channel's Dick Morris, 4/9/03)

"Well, the hot story of the week is victory.... The Tommy Franks-Don Rumsfeld battle plan, war plan, worked brilliantly, a three-week war with mercifully few American deaths or Iraqi civilian deaths.... There is a lot of work yet to do, but all the naysayers have been humiliated so far.... The final word on this is, hooray."

(Fox News Channel's Morton Kondracke, 4/12/03)

"Sean Penn is at it again. The Hollywood star takes out a full-page ad out in the New York Times bashing George Bush. Apparently he still hasn't figured out we won the war."

(MSNBC's Joe Scarborough, 5/30/03)

"This will be no war -- there will be a fairly brief and ruthless military intervention.... The president will give an order. (The attack) will be rapid, accurate and dazzling.... It will be greeted by the majority of the Iraqi people as an emancipation. And I say, bring it on."

(Christopher Hitchens, in a 1/28/03 debate-- cited in the Observer, 3/30/03)

"I will bet you the best dinner in the gaslight district of San Diego that military action will not last more than a week. Are you willing to take that wager?"

(Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly, 1/29/03)

"Even in the flush of triumph, doubts will be raised. Where are the supplies of germs and poison gas and plans for nukes to justify pre-emption? (Freed scientists will lead us to caches no inspectors could find.) What about remaining danger from Baathist torturers and war criminals forming pockets of resistance and plotting vengeance? (Their death wish is our command.)"

(New York Times' William Safire, 4/10/03)

First off, Obama is not interested in the Fairness Doctrine.

Second, IF he were to do that, it would give conservatives and liberals a 50% share of the market. Keep in mind that it would bring conservative voices to liberal outlets like MSNBC or Air America.

And where are you getting that figure from?

There's a reason it was called the Fairness Doctrine. It simply gives equal time to a party with a conflicting viewpoint on a popular subject.

Obama has stated that he does not support the Fairness Doctrine, so this is all moot since the Dems don't have the votes to pass it over his veto.

I think you're right. The worse thing about the Fairness

Doctrine is it's not fair and it takes away Free Speech.

Liberals have 92% of the media? What hole did you pull those numbers out of? My thoughts are you don't know what you're talking about.

The Fairness Doctrine frenzy is largely a distraction from the Right. This is going nowhere.