Faith
Lv 6
Faith asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Should this 11year old boy be kept in jail or moved to a juvenile detention center?

PITTSBURGH – A jail warden said Sunday he will ask a judge to move an 11-year-old boy accused of killing his father's pregnant girlfriend from an adult lockup to a juvenile detention center because the jail cannot accommodate the boy.

Houk was eight months pregnant with the child of Brown's father and also had two daughters, ages 4 and 7, who lived together in the rural home where authorities said she was slain as she lay in bed Friday.

The boy was being held in one of four 10-by-8-foot cells in the jail's booking area, where officials check on him every 15 minutes.

The boy cannot receive visitors — except for his attorney — because doing so would require him to mingle with adult inmates. Even something as simple as letting the boy shower would require locking down a cellblock, most of which hold up to 63 inmates, Adamo said.

Elisco said jail officials couldn't even find clothes to fit the 4-foot-8-inch boy. "They put a shirt on him; he's swimming in it, and his pants are cuffed up about 10 times," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090222/ap_on_re_us/pr...

Update:

Bear: Hes 11years old.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Flup
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What a disgusting way to treat an eleven-year-old boy. I don't care what he's accused of; a civilised country should not isolate its children in 8x10 cells.

Edit: for those that are adding comments to the effect "lock him up and throw away the key", please read the question again. The boy is *accused* of murder. He has not stood trial and has not been convicted. Innocent until proven guilty.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

He should be in a detention center but with the same security as a jail.

If he's only 11 and murdered someone on purpose he is surely capable of other monstrosities. If he committed an adult crime he should pay the adult time.

Len. You obviously don't know any 11 year old children. He knew what he was doing. He just didn't know the consequences.

• 1 decade ago

Oh Dan in Miami - pulease! He's a child. He had no idea what he was doing. You can't treat him as an adult because he isn't one! Yes, unless there is reason to believe he's en route to becoming a serial killer he should be moved to a juvenile detention center. What an horrific situation for everyone concerned.

Edit: Wanda - I have a 14yr old, a 10yr old and a 9yr old - I've got a rough idea about children. I'm also a foster carer for children who've had very disturbed upbringings. I can assure you treating an 11yr old as an adult will only bring about more trouble :-(

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Why is the poor boy in an adult centre in the first place? That's just sick. Obviously the child is disturbed to have done what he did and I don't know the circumstances. But it can never be right or humane to keep a child in those conditions. Shame on those who can't see that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

He should be moved to a juvenille detention centre. Leaving him in a cell like that is going to turn him into more of a criminal, not less. Prison is no place for an 11 year old boy, how ever bad crime he has comitted.

• 1 decade ago

He needs to be moved regardless of the crime...he is a walking target for child abusers in an adult prison and I can see why he is isolated. As someone else said, he cannot be tried as an adult so it makes no sense for him it to be placed in an adult prison and must bring ridiculous costs into it for maintaining him in one. He has that right to be protected from harm despite the horror of his actions :)

• Carrie
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

This child should be held in an age-appropriate centre. It's outrageous that he's being charged as a adult in the first place, but why are they now subjecting him to such actrocious care? I know he committed a terrible act, but he's just a child and there must be laws on taking care of his wellbeing?

• AmberP
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

He's going to be moved to juvenile detention center probally tomorrow!

• 1 decade ago

He planned it and is old enough to understand the consequences. His age is an excuse. Lock him up and throw away the key

• 1 decade ago

It's beyond ridiculous. Even if a child gets prosecuted as an adult, they should be recognised as vulnerable when placed in an adult institution. This kid should be in juvenile.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.