What is a John/Jane Doe Letter?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You mean a Dear John/Dear Jane letter? If so, it started during WWII. A soldier's girlfriend would write to him while he was serving saying she was breaking up with him. A Dear Jane is more modern since it is only recently that they are letting women be soldiers.

However it is also used simply as a term referring to any letter to anyone at anytime telling someone that a relationship is over.

• 1 decade ago

No idea. John and Jane Doe are placeholders for persons unknown in the legal system.

Dear John and Dear Jane letters announce the end of a relationship, generally when the parties are far apart, and are initiated by the person who left. Example

Dear John I think the world of you

But I'm in love with someone new

I can marry one

But I can't marry two

So I'm leaving you dear John.

• 1 decade ago

Do you mean a "dear John" letter? that means a letter telling you your bf/gf does not want to be with you any more.

• 1 decade ago

It's a break-up letter; what you send your boyfriend or girlfriend when you don't have the courage to tell them face to face that it's over; Started in WWII, I think; usually from girls breaking up with their men while they were away fighting for peace.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

This is a letter or something of that nature used to break up with someone in a realationship

• 1 decade ago

names John/Jane Doe are unidentified people. My "Guess" would be a letter that should not be known about. :)

Source(s): my brain while toasted
  • 1 decade ago

it's basically an anonymous letter

• 1 decade ago

means no one signed it, no authur

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.