Is it best to put a car battery on a concrete floor?

I've always been told never place a car battery directly on a concrete surface. Recently I was told it is best to place the battery directly on concrete.

Favorite Answer

when I was in School we did an experiment in shop class to test the theory that placing a battery on concrete would make it go bad. We placed one battery on wood, the other on concrete, there was no difference after a month so we proved the theory wrong. The only factual information we got about concrete being harmful to the battery was the fact that the lime used in cement will neutralize battery acid if poured directly onto cement. Just keep the charge up on the battery and make sure the fluid levels stay up and you will be fine.

Source(s): Shop experiments

Thats a stupid myth, it drains the same as if it were on a table and on concrete, if you leave a battery sitting somewhere for a couple weeks it will die because it slowly loses it charge heres how: he lead acid battery in your car does not create electricity like an alkaline battery: It can only store electricity through a chemical reaction.* Inside the battery are a series of lead and lead oxide plates submersed in an electrolyte containing sulfuric acid and water. When discharging the plates react with the electrolyte creating lead sulfate. Normally this is in a form that's easy to break back down into lead, lead oxide, and sulfuric acid. After several discharges the lead sulfate will crystallize, making it too difficult to break down by a normal electric charge. Even when the battery terminals aren't connected there is still a chemical reaction taking place between the electrolyte and the plates. Since the battery isn't being charged the lead sulfate is left in suspension longer, increasing crystal growth. There are several trickle chargers on the market that keep current running through unused batteries, slowing this process. If the battery isn’t too badly damaged the crystals can be broken apart with high-voltage “shock” charging. Once the battery has enough crystals to stop functioning the lead can be remelted and made into a new battery. This lead can be recycled endlessly, so the metal your car battery may have been in several other batteries before you used it. So once an older car battery is fully drained its very hard to return it to its natural original state unless you were to charge it for a couple weeks so it could retain its memory.

• Here is the real answer:

This was an auto tip from a 1930s Popular Science:

"Leaving a car battery on a concrete floor will ruin it."

I have seen three concrete floors ruin4ed by leaving car batteries on them. Leaking acid ate the concrete away.

That word "it" had too many antecedents.

Okay.. You can google this, but here it is...

Back a long, long, long time ago, batteries were not made out of the same stuff they are today. If you placed them on concrete they would discharge themselves quicker.

Batteries today do not have this issue.. There is no reason to or not to store a battery on a concrete floor.

Source(s): http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Support/FAQ.aspx Storing a battery on concrete will discharge it quicker- Long ago, when battery cases were made out of natural rubber, this was true. Now, however, battery cases are made of polypropylene or other modern materials that allow a battery to be stored anywhere. A battery's rate of discharge is affected by its construction, its age, and the ambient temperature. The main issue with storing on concrete is that if the battery leaks, the concrete will be damaged.
  • Vida

put car battery concrete floor

Well no its best to have it off the cold floor. In the really old days garages didn't usually have cement floors they were dirt hence ground. And when a battery was left on a dirt ground the battery would actually ground out to the dirt a little and drain the battery, Cement floors do this too BUT its so little it take 100's of times longer to drain a battery than it being on a dirt floor.

It doesn't matter where you set it. Just keep it in cool temperatures and it will maintain it's charge longer. One thing you don't want to do is to set a leaking battery on concrete otherwise you will get a nasty stain on there that you will need muriatic acid to remove.

I've done it innumerable times over the decades of my driving and nothing wrong ever happened. And I NEVER heard that advice. Now as to whether, as "csbstrd" says, you should store a battery on a concrete floor, since I never store them, I never have to worry about it. But I've never heard that advice either, not to say it's wrong, but I've never heard it. God Bless you.

• Mike S

Never store a car battery on a concrete floor or a dirt floor for that matter.

Always store a battery elevated off the floor on something that can get air movement around it. Like on a board sitting on 2 blocks.

1