What is a good place to buy cheap baby clothes, gowns, and such. Online or store wise?

I am due soon, and do not have a lot of clothes for him. I heard that I should buy lots of gowns, and onsies at first. Should I buy 0 to 3 mo, or 3 to 6 mo??? I also heard you have to change little boys more often than girls so I need to have plenty of clothes. Are places like Wal Mart, and Target the cheapest?? Thanks again!! Im full of questions!!

• KS
    Favorite Answer

If you are okay with gently used clothing, the first places you should try are freecycle.org, craigslist.com, consignment shops, thrift stores, and garage sales.

If you want to buy new, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Ross's is pretty cheap (Gerber pack of 5 onsies are 5.99 there to give you an idea.) K-mart is on the verge of going down, so they run clearance often. I found a pack of 5 long sleeve onsies there for $4. Target and Walmart are reasonably priced...a little more than the previous I listed, but you rarely have to pick/dig through to find deals. (Always be sure to check their clearance section...target had a few onsies for a dollar a piece the other day when I went.) And then there are the stores like Old Navy, JC Penny's, and Kohl's. Reasonable in price, but definitely not the cheapest.

As for the sizes, I have bought some onsies in each size. Just incase he is on the larger side or if he grows out newborn size within the first couple of weeks. 2 or 3 gowns should be good to start.

• My son lived in the sleepers and gowns for the first 3 months of life! They are great.

Do buy onsies for all stages. If you have a washer then you are set, I didn't at the time, so I bought a lot of clothes so I wouldn't have to be doing a load a day. Trust me, one load a day is too much with a newborn!

Yes, Target and Walmart are cheap. I only buy diapers at Walmart because every time I look for clothes for my son they have nothing for boys but a whole side of the store for girls!

On line I would look at craigslist. If you are in Chicago, I just posted sooooooo many clothes for free because I want them out of my house! I was trying to sell them for 3 months now and am fed up!

Source(s): edit...for some reason I can't send you a message. Anyhow, I don't live near Lyle, I am in the city. If your friend wants to pick them up that is fine by me! I can e-mail you some pictures if you do want them. Write me back at rachaeltoma@yahoo.com

Walmart is awesome for baby stuff. I usually prefer Target but found their selections a bit bare and overpriced comparatively. Babysupermall.com has some cheap clothes but they range from $5 - $22+. Toys-R-US had some great sales on baby clothes. Buy one get one etc.

I've been told not to buy too many clothes before the baby arrives as the newborn clothes may only fit for a very short time if even at all. So with mine I've bought a couple newborn outfits and a couple of the 3-6mos just to be covered when she leaves the hospital and what not. Either way GL.

Clearance racks. Try Kohls too. I don't think Target is necessarily the cheapest. I wouldn't even bother with 0-3 months personally. They are in 3-6 months so quickly, and then 6-9 months soon after that. I think all my kids wore 6-9 months by the time they were 3 months old.

Onesies, onesies, onesies! Yes! I never put the kids in the gowns, always sleepers. And make sure you get the ones with snaps down the legs for the constant diaper changes. It's tempting, but don't spend a lot on any individual item at this age. They outgrow them so fast.

Also, if you have a Carter's Outlet near you, I'd check the clearance racks there.

• Jan M

Thrift stores are perfect for things like diaper shirts (onsies) and sleepers, no one sees the onsies under their clothes anyway and babies never fit in clothes long enough to wears them out. In our thrift stores here you can get a whole bag of kids clothes for $1, why pay $5+ a piece for items you can get used for $0.10, and it's recycling. Another great thing to do is start attending a mom and baby or pregnancy support group, you're bond to meet someone with a baby boy who's a couple months older then yours will be and will be willing to pass down their clothes.

Don't buy more then a couple of 0-3 months things, they only fit small babies for a few weeks and if you have a baby bigger then about 7 Lbs anything newborn sized wont fit.

• craigslist is good if you dont mind second hand. other than that walmart and target are so close in price its hard to say. walmart does have free shipping site to store if you wanna order online were target does not have that option. and i dont know about changing a boy more than girls i have 2 girls and one boy and i changed my girlies more than i am having to my son. i would buy 0-3 months mostly but get a few 3-6 as you dont know how fast your baby will be or grow. i had a nephew that wore 3-6 month from birth. he was a moose of a baby but a cutie. my girlies wore 0-3 till almost 6 months.

Garage sales are your best friend. Also, I bet walmart and target would be pretty cheap, get the 5 packs of onsies, or at least the multiple packs, it saves money. Try Old Navy or oldnavy.com if there isn't one near you, they have crazy bargain clearance stuff all really cute. OH, and resale shops. There are two in my town, and they have single onsies that sold for around $17 in the store, and I bought them for $3.

Walmart is a great place for clothes. Certain walmarts are better than others. I just recently went to Sears and they had clothes on sale for 2.99. I got an outfit for 3 dollars. target is great for sleepers which you will need! They are the easiest to wear and to put on. My son is 7 months old and already wears 12 month clothes. So it wouldn't hurt to buy bigger clothes if you see a great deal. good luck And Congratulations!!

Source(s): 7 month old son

EBAY!!! I bought bulk lots of clothes - like 40 pieces- for $13.50!!! all but 2-3 things are like brand new

Get some of both sizes, i always stock up on the next few sizes as they grow fast and when you see things on sale or on the reduced items rack, buy up and put away for the next season!

boys don't necessarily go through more clothes, just remember to point his willy DOWN when putting the nappy on otherwise the pee pee comes straight out the top of the nappy and onto their clothes!

Source(s): mum of 3

those are pretty cheap and if you are not against hand me downs look for a good childrens consignment shop in your area those are a godsend. You can find gently used name brand items for like $1-$5 and with the way they go through things so quickly in the first year esp. you wont mind so much because you didn't pay alot and if the clothes are still in good condition they will prolly buy them back once he is too big for them. try this link www.childrensorchard.com