Indian Milk Tea. How do I make it.?

When I was in India last year they made me milk tea everyday. It was very creamy, very sweet, and always had a thin film on the top. How do I make a cup of milk tea? How much milk, how much water, how much sugar or honey?

Best Answer

Indian tea i s different from english tea in that you don't actually boil water, brew the tea and add milk...the process is different.

The one I make is a "shortcut" chai but comes out quite well...you can try it.

It's done on a stove top.

Take a saucepan and put in 1 part water, 2 parts milk.

Add one teabag per 2 cups of chai you are making and heat mixture

take whole cardamom pods and bang it so that it opens up. Drop those into the warm mixture, add a little nutmeg

STIR...as with any milk being heated stovetop, you want to stir constantly to avoid it burning at the bottom.

If you wish you can add the following as well - the cardamom is the important spice though.

Fresh crushed ginger

Black peppercorns

a little cinnamon.

As soon as the mixture boils, take it off the heat and strain into cups.

You'll have the skin if you leave it to cool for a few minutes (probably a smart idea...it's boiling milk - do you really want to burn your mouth *lol*)....it's just the skin that comes on top of any boiled milk.

You have an option with your sugar/honey - just add to taste either after you've taken it off the heat (if you're not sure how much you want I 'd advise this one) or when the mixture is on the heat (do this more if you really know how much you want to add).

If you're serving to guests I'd advise you to let them add their own sugar/honey/sweetner.

Hope it was some help..I know it wasn't an exact recipe (sorry)

• me

Ingredients

13/16 cup of water

1 milk

1 teaspoon tea leaves

1 milk

1 sugar

Here is one recipe, the second link has several others. I would look to see which one matches the one you had best. Good luck!

Directions: How to Cook Indian Milk Tea (Chai) #07

Ha, my favourite drink, and topic! How to make the perfect chai and then sip (note sip, not drink!) it in peace.

The Perfect Chai:

1. For each cup, of chai u need about 4/5 th cup of water, u are going to lose some water in evaporation etc.. and u are going to add milk for the rest. This measure can be changed to suit your proportion of tea+milk.

2. Boil the water and then pour it into the tea pot. Now ad the tea leaves, I use about 1 teaspoon/cup.

3. Now close the pot, and if u want to preserve the heat, close it with a sort of insulating cap u get for the pot.

4. Now heat some milk separately.

5. The cups can be pre-heated by rinsing with hot water.

6. After the tea has brewed for 7-10 minutes, pour the tea into the cups through a strainer, add milk + sugar.

Modified Chai (doesn't need pot etc..)

1. Boil the water in a regular vessel

2. Turn off the gas, add chai and close the vessel with a plate so that the steam stays in

3. Other steps are same

Ginger+Ilaichi chai:

1. Cut some pieces of ginger, crush them with a spoon. Add it to the water when u boil it. U can also add Ilaichi (cardamom ) to add flavor.

U can try various types of tea. The best is got by mixing the so called dust tea and leaf tea. Dust adds strength, while leaf gives a distinctive flavor to it. Try Darjeeling tea, its great.

And remember tea should never be boiled, it should be brewed.

http://www.indiacurry.com/beverage/b001chai.htm

Garam Chai or 'Masala Chai' (Hot tea latte) recipe

Chai is Indian tea made with milk. Garam or Masala Chai is a tea brewed with spices sugar and milk

Chai is Indian version of Hot tea latte. As a child, I remember hawkers yelling "Garam Chai" and "Samosa" at every railway station in India. Chai was sold in a ½ pint size earthen (terracotta) tumblers called 'Kulhar'. The main ingredients of all Chai are Black tea, Milk, Sugar, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger & Green Cardamom pods. Other ingredients are optional. Garam Chai is also called Masala Chai.

Ingredients

1. Water: 2 Cups

2. Milk: 4 Cups

3. Sugar: ¼ Cup

4. Cinnamon stick broken up: 1 Inch

5. Cloves: 6 whole

6. Green Cardamom pods cracked open: 6

7. Whole Black peppercorns: 6

8. Ginger powder: ½ teaspoon

9. Fennel seeds: 1 teaspoon

10. Tea bags: 3

11. Nutmeg: Pinch

Half n half cream

Vanilla bean (Optional)

Method

Add items 1 through 11 in a pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat for half an hour. Let it cool. Remove tea bags. Don't remove the spices. Strain the tea mixture before serving. Put in a nice jar and tighten the lid. To serve add ¼ cup Half 'n Half cream to ¾ cup of strained tea mixture. Heat in microwave and serve. It should stay fresh for about one week when refrigerated.

Note: To accentuate taste further, add Vanilla bean and substitute sugar with honey

• cura

How To Make Indian Tea

• Rain

indian milk tea (chai)

½ cup Water

½ cup Milk

1 Heaped spoon tea leaves or tea dust

To make 1 cup, boil approx 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup milk (you can vary the ratio to suit your taste-more water perhaps). When it is warm, add 1 heaped spoon of tea leaves or tea dust. Let it boil for a few minutes but make sure the milk doesn't spill over. Add sugar to taste. Filter out the tea leaves using a tea filter.

Any of the prior recipes will give you good chai, Mom made chai with evaporated milk, regular milk makes chai too watery unless you are using cream, and of course she warmed the teapot and teacups first before she made the tea.

Even mint and/or Cardamon was steeped with the chai, it just depends on your taste.

you can get great chai recipes from the internet- but I always recommend a dash of vanilla, which is my own little addition to the brew...yum!