How does college prepare you for the working world?

How does college prepare me for the working world?

What are the pros and cons?

• TL
    Favorite Answer

As a second year student just coming back from an internship I can tell you that college doesn't effectively prepare you for work.

College is important to give you a broad field of knowledge and theory of such, but all of that are nothing more than a weak foundation. Experience is always always always the key to getting a good job no matter what (internships, etc).

I'm not saying ditch college. Only a few individuals skipped college and succeed (ex. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, etc) and the rest of us need a college degree to get ourselves up on our feet to survive what's ahead.

It really depends on what degree you're getting, if you ask me. I had a lot of friends who got earned business-related degrees, and their classes were a direct reflection of the workplace: all about doing presentations, accounting, marketing projects, etc.

For me, as an English major, I'm STILL trying to figure out how my degree prepared me for the workplace. My former professors are still encouraging me to pursue my masters and PhD in English, but I don't want to teach.

With English, it was all paper-writing and class discussion, which I only see being helpful if I want to actually go into teaching. I guess I learned how to be a better writer and how to form/defend a persuasive argument, which would be helpful if I wanted to branch out into marketing or journalism.

But if I wanted to do that, I'd would've majored in marketing or journalism.

I'm not knocking my professors or anything, it's just that some degrees lend themselves more to real-world application (mostly, the sciences and mathematics) than others.

Right now, my career options pretty much all require me to go to graduate school to earn my masters. I'm glad I majored in English because I'm good at it and I enjoy it, but sometimes I wish God had given me a more practical "talent."

Like...if He'd made me good at computer science or business, I'd be all set. :)

How boring the international must be if all we knew a thanks to do became a activity! a real coaching teaches the student a thanks to be a extra effective individual, a thanks to enhance his or her soul. It exposes the student to a great, good choice of thoughts and worldviews and delivers the student with the skill to interact effectively contained in the international. as an get jointly, interpreting a vast spectrum of literature from diverse places and cases can grant you with a extra effective theory of many techniques of residing. talking many languages can open up those techniques even extra, and can provide the possibility to locate the international in a sparkling way. a similar for being wakeful of many diverse philosophies, religions, histories, and geographies. information the sciences delivers the possibility to ensure the ask your self inherent contained in the universe, from the organic order of the periodic table to the paranormal structure of a crystal or beehive. If all you recognize a thanks to do is shovel airborne dirt and dust or sparkling human beings's residences, you're literally not well worth a lot. enhance you options and your fee will strengthen 1000 fold.

It really doesn't. It keeps you out of the working world for four more years so that you can mature. But some people are mature enough for the work environment at 18. It took me until about age 27 or so to learn that maturity.

Pros:

- A higher percentage of you getting hired at a job.

- Gives you the skills you need to succeed in the outside world.

- You earn more money if you go to college

Cons:

- It cost a lot of money.

Pros: Possibility of specialized knowledge, gives you time to mature, helps you learn to deal with stress, helps you become a better writer and communicator, looks better on a resume, allows you to have the possibility for grad. school and beyond, helps you find out what kind of careers you'd be interested in

Cons: Costs money? But even then, its a wise investment.

• Henry

1

Source(s): Work From Home Writing http://givitry.info/WritingJobsOnline/?i1H4

Actually it does not but that aside education prepares you to be receptive to learning how to learn. A skill that will promote your ability to adaPT TO CHANGING SITUATIONS.

challenging aspect. seek in a search engine. that will can assist!