Define 'Alpha Male' - Grateful if men and women alike would define this term cos I have no idea what it is....?

... supposed to actually mean

Can you define the term in the context of a group of males

and in the context of a mixed gender group

How would an alpha male be defined in these two instances?
Update: SO PHIL FLOWERS: by definition a gay man can be the alpha male in the midst of a bunch of heterosexual males?

i.e. here on GWS?

or in the army?
Update 2: I love your name by the way.
Update 3: Yes Phil Flowers: Interestingly several American Presidents are said to have been gay not least of whom was Abraham Lincoln.
I have no proof of course but many historians say this is the case.
Update 4: DESIRE: LOL at what you said. Of course a gay man can be the alpha male of the group.
What a weird thing for you to say!
lmao
Update 5: *Trevor puts on his robes made of slaughtered elephants and tigers and sharks and dons his alpha badge and demands that the guards remove Untamed Rose and take her to the Tower for 'deprogramming'*
Update 6: UNTAMED ROSE: Oooooh! I do love me some firefighter or cop. Loads of 'em here in SF that are alpha gays.
Update 7: PHIL FLOWERS I have been tempted to give you a thumbs down for all the references to gay alpha males who have been mass murderers or 'troublesome' in government but perhaps you are just doing this subconsciously and if I point it out to you you can come up with some more positive examples of gay alpha... show more PHIL FLOWERS I have been tempted to give you a thumbs down for all the references to gay alpha males who have been mass murderers or 'troublesome' in government but perhaps you are just doing this subconsciously and if I point it out to you you can come up with some more positive examples of gay alpha males?

THANKS!
Update 8: Miss Flowers: I was referring to your reference to Hitler and the "troublesome" members of parliament.
Update 9: Miss Flowers: Be Silent. You're boring me

*files nails*