Did the Roman Empire really fall? Or was it continued/absorbed by the Byzantine Empire?

Please give me your thoughts on this. Please make the legitimate and not based off of fiction and fantasy. Please don't just say because a textbook said it. Give me your thoughts. Historians right now aren't as sure. There are arguments for it such that Byzantines considered themselves Roman and... show more Please give me your thoughts on this. Please make the legitimate and not based off of fiction and fantasy.

Please don't just say because a textbook said it. Give me your thoughts. Historians right now aren't as sure. There are arguments for it such that Byzantines considered themselves Roman and continued the linage of the Roman Empires.. etc. Or if you do not believe in this. Did the "Roman" Empire really fall or was it continued/absorbed by the Byzantine to continue it on because they were really just part of the Roman Empire since they were split..

Give me your reason and thoughts! If you don't agree. Sure! Just give reasons to back yourself up.

Give any sources used including websites/books so I can look further into your answers. It will be much appreciated =)!