Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 decade ago

Building alternate housing. Crates?

I have known about them for a while, but, I now have a job, and I am just toying with the idea of buying land and building my own home. Just playing around with the idea, I have heard of people buying used shipping crates for considerably small amounts of money, and then turning them into homes.

I just searched for more information on shipping crate homes, and all I really found were a few pictures, and some basic information on shipping crates, shipping company's, and interesting, but not-so-helpful information.

I want to know what to DO with a crate once I bought one. How do you anchor it safety to the ground? How do you add siding and a roof, to make it blend in with other "normal" wood frame homes. (If thats what I wanted to do).

What about plumbing and electrical? Abstract shapes? Like a rounded tower, instead of the square boxes???? How well does the steel do underground?? (An interesting basement if we buried them). Stuff like this I want to know much more about. Can they be made to look like normal homes from the inside? Instead of looking like the interior of the death-star?

Basically, I am very interested in this idea that, perhaps it is possible to buy several cheap metal frames, and still come out with a cool lookin home. If anyone has more information on actual DIY construction guides for this type of thing, I would be very thankful if you would share that information with me. Thank you for your time :-)

Best Answer

You might want to consider building out of

Aerated autoclaved concrete (CAC) bricks.

I read about it in an article from my local paper.

The technology has been around since the 1920's

The reason it's not very popular is because housing developers like the look of brick, and bricklayers are used to working with normal bricks.

Very environmentally friendly with very low co2 emissions during production and it's cheap to transport

It requires no frame for a structure, is totally fireproof, sound proof, lightweight, very strong,no mold and mildew, no rust, no decay, highest rating insulator, pest resistant, thickness of mortar is 1/8 inchand it's not hard to DIY. All you need is a concrete slab, a few tools and some cac bricks.

Many of people build their own houses.

The structure can be as small or large as you like and you can extend later on. design can be as conventional or unconventional as you like

The material can be routed, sanded and cut to size on site using standard carbon tip band saws, hand saws and drills.

• Don

I see these discussed occasionally on the Yahoo newsgroup organic_architecture. You'll find quite a bit of information on this, actually. It's not my personal favorite, but I've seen photos where they've built these into residential neighborhoods and when they were done you couldn't tell the difference form conventional housing (sometimes). Check out some google images for good inspiration on this, as well as construction details:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=%22shippin...

Crate homes are NOT supposed to look like conventional homes...they are simply as is...bolted to a concrete pad, are already water-proof, need no siding, no roof...are certainly limited in room size (as wide as a crate), and are not intended as luxuary abodes! These were designed to fill the niche where people who cannot afford conventional houses could find a habitat...crate homes can be stacked next to eachother, like a bee hive. Not exactly my idea of a great way to live, but I have my ideas, you have yours. They have been produced here in the L.A. area as a novo-designer's idea of ending the housing crunch...unfortunately for the designer, there is no longer a housing crunch!