How are things like BET, Ebony, Black award shows, black scholarships and affirmative action not racist?

I am not racist (at all), I just really don't get this. Maybe it is just my "white" point of view, and if it is, maybe you can help me understand. To me these things would be racist if reversed, so I don't see how it is different. If I were black, I would be offended if someone thought I only made it to college because of the color of my skin (affirmative action) and not because I worked my butt off. Especially nowadays. Black people, white people, hispanic people- you name it- we are all smart and while there are less intelligent people in every race (because color doesn't affect that), we all have the privilege to attend college if we work for it.

Same goes for black history month. i learned about important black people in history, right along with white people, but not because we had a month devoted to it- we just did. i'm irish and although we weren't slaves, we were treated like trash when we immigrated over here. i don't need a month. to me, this type of thing is what seperates blacks from whites. instead of saying we are all equal, we are saying "we are not, so let's have our own month and our own tv to try and raise awareness" i don't know, i just don't think it's a good way to go about it. i, personally, don't care what color someone is- i have friends and family from most races- i just don't like segraegation from any side of any type.

anyway, sorry- can you help me see another side of this?

noella-It's funny that people think that now that Obama is president, racism no longer exists. The pedestal that people put him on, both white and black, proves that racism continues. I don't think he would have been elected if his skin were a bit darker, or if he spoke urban slang

i never said racism doesn't exist- only that it is on both sides and the things i listed are examples. as for obama- i didn't vote for him- i don't agree with him politically- at all. i don't think his skin being darker would have made a difference- to the racist few, color is color- to the rest of us, it doesn't matter anyway. as for the slang- duh. the president of the US has to be able to speak proper english that we can all understand. he needs to sound educated. that's not racist, that's smart

Favorite Answer

I agree- Racism is still racism, no matter which race it's "aimed" at.

Scholarships that are given only to those of specific races...

Hiring practices that are designed to reduce the chances of some because of their race...

Government stipends given only to those of a certain heritage...

I truly hope for the day that color, genetic heritage mean nothing, when personal achievement and skill, one's own effort mean everything.

Black Award Shows

• Joel S

For everyone of those things that you mentioned whites have the equal right.

BET-whites have CMT,VH1,TNT,USA,LIFETIME,OXYGEN,FOX,TBS,USA,COMEDY CENTRAL, FOX, MTV.

Black History Month-wwwaaaaaaaahhh, wwaaaaaaaaa, blacks get black history month! Whites only get 11 months out of the entire year.

Ebony-well how about cosmogirl, teen beat, and just about every other magazine??

Black scholarships-newsflash, whites have them too, however they are listed under ethnic group names like, Irish, Italian, Polish, British, and German

Black Awards Shows-You have the VMAs, the MTV awards, The Country Music Awards, the Oscars, and The Gramys.

affirmative action-I don't get any special treatment for being black. If anything, I have to prove twice as hard that I'm NOT a criminal. When it comes to a job interview, I have to prep three times as hard as a white or an asian b/c the company owner already expects for me to be an idiot. You want that treatment? I'll gladly trade it with you. Do you want to move into a new home and then someone ask you what kind of job you have to move there?(damn, you mean they could not ask your name first???). I'm sick of ppl thinking that if a black got a good job he must have gotten the job b/c "the white man felt sorry for him". I'm educated damnit and I will fight to make sure it pays the hell off.

P.S. I hate BET. Please stop using that as an example. It used to be a good channel, it was created during a time when no channel showed black musicians and actors. So we created our own. When the channel was created it did just that. It showed good soul, REAL rap, and gospel music. Also black movies and news about our issues. It never shunned anyone else. Now, you get college hill, and gang movie after gang movie.

Seriously, I know it shocks you to know that half of the blacks in this country can't stand BET anymore than many whites can stand to watch CMT(*GASPS*, *I AM SO SUPRISED*), yeah I bet you are.

If I want to watch a predominantly black channel, I'll watch TV One and VH1 Soul.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I am not racist (at all), I just really don't get this. Maybe it is just my "white" point of view, and if it is, maybe you can help me understand. To me these things would be racist if reversed, so I don't see how it is different. If I were black, I would be offended if someone...

Source(s): bet ebony black award shows black scholarships affirmative action racist: https://tr.im/FxnMZ

I think that if it were in a different time before black people had the same rights as everyone else that it was necessary to have these things. But now that times have changed and everyone is supposed to be equal, then no, I don't think it's right. I think the black history month is just to remind everyone of what the struggles were and people who helped them through it in their fight for equal rights. Now, BET, yeah, that's a different story. Back in the day it was hard, very hard for anyone of color to get into college, so this was needed to help them out. I think it should be re-examined now to be adapted to the times we live in now. I don't necessarily think it's all racist at all, but I think some of it is silly. Again, if black people weren't allowed on TV or not found to be common(like the way it used to be) then I could see having an all black channel. Or even like the hispanic channels...I think those are ok, b/c it caters to those who do not speak english. So that's a whole different issue there.

This is something that I've struggled with for years. It does seem a bit racist to have organizations that only benefit one race. If white people had something like that, everyone would be in an uproar.

Source(s): I'm a European American.

How do you equivocate BET with affirmative action? BET is a music entertainment channel which came about because the mainstream music channel at the time, MTV, was not giving equal playtime to black music. The producer of BET is Viacom, the same producer of MTV so you should take your questions about it to them.

Affirmative action not only helps black people it helps all minorities and woman of all races who had not had a fair shot at jobs or education because white males have always received preferential treatment. If affirmative action did not exist white males would still be getting preferential treatment.

no offense, but the Irish weren't here as long as blacks nor did they go through the same stuff. and while i don't care for black history month, (and im black), you saying its racist is funny. in case you haven't noticed, american history is extremely racist. thats why we learn about it. the reason why it was created is because whites refused to acknowledge black history with theirs because their history was wiped out. they then gave the blacks their version of black history. to this day who do you think runs these black history month events? rich white folk. instead of bashing affirmative action, why don't you take a look closely at it. the fact that blacks even needed this kind of help shows you the effects left on them. if you don't like affirmative action, thats fine, but you must understand that its there because of whites of the past. blacks were just given equal rights in the 60's. people say slavery was 400 years ago, but equal rights weren't given till over 40 years ago. what does that tell you? and things aren't equal. discrimination still exists o both sides, but blacks being the minority, which do you think is worse?

Source(s): and as for BET, how funny is it that the same company owns MTV. and how much funnier is it that mostly whites are buying this music? tyhe fact of the matter is that whites and blacks like different kinds of music. there's no need to be a white channel. every channel is white. hollywood is white. everything is white owned. giving a BET is nothing for them. and that channel sucks anyway ONE LAST THING. people use the term racism too losely. its as if they don't know what it means. blacks cant be racist. racism is the ACT of putting your dislike of another group into practice. blacks don't have the power to practice racism. its possible for a black person to implement racism. look it up. racism is the power to make someone get to the back of the bus, the pwer to stop blacjks from voting, getting jobs and going to college. THAT is racism. thats what ISMs are, to put into practice. thats why blacks cant practice racism. disliking someone for their color isn't racism. its ignorance. actually enslaving them and killing them is racism. blacks dont even have that power in south africa. their own country

This is racist thinking. Could you imagine "all white TV'.

The NAACP would be in an uproar. Nobody had it worse than the American Indian. They weren't even good enough to be slaves. They were hunted and killed and sent off to reservations. They were in the way of progress. Just my opinion.

It's funny that people think that now that Obama is president, racism no longer exists. The pedestal that people put him on, both white and black, proves that racism continues. I don't think he would have been elected if his skin were a bit darker, or if he spoke urban slang.