Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

I'm looking for a great long fantasy book: something suspenseful and greatly written. Have any ideas?

Just for the record, I have already read books from J. R. R. Tolkien, Terry Brooks, Robert Jordan, Cornelia Funke and J. K. Rowling.

Favorite Answer

The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett

The Belgariad and The Mallorean by David Eddings

The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis

Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz

Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull

Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

Storms of Vengeance by John Beachem

Wake and Fade by Lisa McMann

The Giver and sequels by Lois Lowry

A Great and Terrible Beauty and sequels by Libba Bray

Howl's Moving Castle

Maxiumum Ride series by James Patterson

Pendragon series by DJ MacHale

anything by Anne McCaffrey, Andre Norton, Ursula K. LeGuin, Tamora Pierce, Donita K. Paul, Mercedes Lackey, Chris D'Lacey, Garth Nix, Terry Brooks, Raymond Fiest, Gene Wolfe, George RR Martin, etc. - Titles at the link below

I don't know if you are old enough (and that proviso might act as a great incentive) because prudish me thinks that this is really an 18+ text, but the George RR Martin 'Fire and Ice' series is sublime and should keep you busy for a long time as it is MASSIVE and fans all over the globe are desperate for the next book. The first book in the series is 'A Game of thrones'. Each book is huge and some are split into several volumes.

More frivolous and less X rated is Terry Pratchett: I wouldn't bother starting at the beginning of the Discword series though (you can always go back to it); rather I would start at around 'Moving Pictures' or, alternatively, just try the 'Wee Free Men' scion.

Best wishes!!! Happy reading

For the younger reader then you just can't beat CS Lewis and Philip Pullman even if they are polar opposites.

Without a doubt read the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Amazing in its complexity and realism. I am always amazed at how he juggles so many clear and distinct characters, jargons, and cultures. You'll have 50 characters and every one will be a unique voice and POV. Amazing amazing amazing.

Then pick up Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - it is about the rebirth of British magic during the Napoleonic wars. Also amazingly well-written and realistic. Magic without the cheesiness of most fantasy books.

Try Nancy Farmer, David Farland, or Terry Goodkind.

Warriors by Erin Hunter. it is debatable whether or not it is fantasy, but you should read it anyway.

Twilight twilight twilight twilight twilight!!!!!!!!!!