What frugal tips to you have to share?

What is your most frugal tip?

...most frugal recipe?

What do you do to save money?

Favorite Answer

Use coupons! My goal is to save at least 20% each trip

Familiarize yourself with prices and if you see a good deal, don't just buy one, buy three and build up a little pantry of canned and dry foods. Consider using store brands; most of them have a money back guarantee. Be flexible with your menu - sometimes, seasonal foods are less expensive. Example: fresh asparagus is more expensive in the wintertime. Steer clear of prepackaged convenience foods like Shake & Bake, frozen mac & cheese and Hamburger Helper and make your own for pennies. Spend a rainy Sunday making chili or soup and freeze some in 1 or 2-cup portions for later use; a full freezer runs more efficiently, so you might as well pack it full of food.

I could go on, but you get the general idea. You don't have to live on ramen noodles to save money on food, it just takes some planning.

----

Cheap Chocolate Lava Cake

I’ve made this a few times in the last 14 years and it always comes out great - the cake rises to the top and the chocolate pudding sinks to the bottom. If you make it in a dish slightly larger than 9 x 9, you get more surface area of chocolatey goodness.

You can add a handful of nuts if nobody in your family has a nut allergy.

The cool thing? No egg required!

Warm Brownie Pudding Cake

¾ cup flour

¾ cup sugar

1 ½ tsp baking powder

½ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

½ cup milk

3 tbsp butter or oleo, melted

½ tsp vanilla

¼ cup unsweetened cocoa

½ cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 1/3 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350F

Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with release spray. (Pam)

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1/3 cup cocoa.

In measuring cup, combine milk, oleo and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until blended - spoon evenly into prepared pan. Combine brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa in a small bowl - sprinkle evenly over batter. Pour boiling water evenly over entire mixture – do NOT stir!

Bake 35 to 38 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool 10 minutes.

Serves 8

I save a couple hundred dollars a month on groceries by shopping the ads. I don't mind stopping at 2 or 3 stores to get a good deal. I have been doing this for sometime, so it is easy to know a good deal. Ground beef for example. I buy 93% lean and only buy it when it is under $2 a pound. Normally it is $4 a pound and I know at least once a month one of the grocery stores I shop at will have it on sale. I buy 6 pounds at a time because I know it will use in during the course of a month. I also wait for chicken breast to go on sale, the other day .88 cents a pound, which is a great deal.

I also make double batches of foods that freeze well so I have go to meals when I am to busy to cook. Things like chile, sloppy joes, soups, spaghetti sauce and taco meat.

Like another poster mentioned - cook from scratch. The prepacked meals are a ripoff and not good for you.

Buy store brands (my exceptions are laundry soap and foil tho)

If you have the room in your regular freezer. Stock up on good buys on meat. Someone mentioned getting a freezer and keeping it in your garage. This might be OK in the winter, but in the summer that thing will be running constantly and your food savings will wind up in your electric bill.

Learn to can food. In many places pressure canners for low acid foods can be rented. Big water bath canners are not that expensive.

Buy bulk if you can of staples like rice and flour.

Buy seasonal vegetables and fruits. A watermelon in December is going to cost triple what it is in August.

Here is a frugal recipe:

1 whole chicken cleaned of the innards - bought on sale of course

salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

Dried Italian seasoning, about a tablespoon or more to your preference

Bake in a oven at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes

To this you can add sides of baked potatoes and a green salad (homeade dressing of course)

The leftover chicken can be used in a chicken salad, soup, sandwich or casserole.

Plan your weeks meals according to the sale ad of your grocery store.

Always use coupons and don't be ashamed to use them. And also make bigger meals that you can have leftovers or freeze for another time.

Like make a big lasagna and freeze half of it. You can freeze

just about anything and it will taste the same when you defrost it and recook it.

Also soups like say you have a roast one night or a chicken and it didnt get finished use the rest of it to make a soup or stew its very simple just throw in vegetables, broth, seasoning, and basically what ever else u want or have in your refrigerator.

Also most store brands taste exactly the same so buy those.

We do LOTS of things to save money.

I never buy prepared food. I always make everything from scratch, and most of the time it doesn't take much more time at all.

For example.. I never buy frozen chicken fingers. I just buy chicken, cut it into strips, and shake and bake it. Turns out really good, and a lot healthier too.

On Week-ends, I make pancakes from scratch... easy.. its just eggs, flour, milk, baking powder, and sugar. Takes 5 mins. to whip up and they are great!! way cheaper than buying the mix.

We never throw out left-overs. It saves a lot of money to either eat them for lunch or supper the next day.

Buying in bulk is also a great way to cut costs. Look for 2 for 1 deals, and stock up on anything on sale that you use on a regular basis.

Buy a stand-up freezer for your garage, and fill it with food.

Buy in bulk (Costco!) and freeze it. For meat, be sure to wrap each piece individually in saran wrap, then store in a ziplock bag so you can get as much air out as possible. This will reduce freezer burn. Be sure to label & date the bag so you know what it is you have in there. Also, be sure to discipline yourself to actually use the stuff in your freezer. Meal planning is a good way to make sure you rotate through your stocks of food.

Stock up when stuff is on sale.

You'll find some great recipes on this blog that include a bread recipe (you can save money there) as well as tips and ideas for food storage.

http://preparednesspro.wordpress.com/

Good luck!

Buy store brands when you can-I've found that most of them are just as good, even BETTER than the name brands.

Clip and use coupons.

Make a list.

Buy items that you can get more than one meal out of.

Shop weekly or biweekly-plan your meals that way.

Source(s): What I do

I like this link for quick, cheap & healthy meals

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=...

Hope This Helps

Abbey