R&S normals: Wallace v. Jaffree, 1985, what is your viewpoint on it?

In Zorach v. Clauson, 1952, The Supreme Court declared that Americans "are a religious people whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being. When the state encourages religious instruction or cooperates with religious authorities by adjusting the schedule of public events to sectarian needs, it follows the... show more In Zorach v. Clauson, 1952, The Supreme Court declared that Americans "are a religious people whose institutions presuppose a Supreme Being. When the state encourages religious instruction or cooperates with religious authorities by adjusting the schedule of public events to sectarian needs, it follows the best of our traditions. For it then respects the religious nature of our people and accommodates public service to their spiritual needs."

Differing decisions handed down by the Court in the past 50 years, including the celebrated Lemon test of 1971, often seemed to contradict one another. The Court, like the country, struggled to achieve what journalist and commentator Fred Friendly called a "delicate balance" between religion and government.

Throughout the 1960's, case after case before the Court required a decision regarding the separation of religious activities from the public school systems. In its Engel, Schempp, and Murray decisions, the Court ordered schools to end Bible-reading, group prayer, or a time of prayer as an official part of the school day. A storm of protests followed these decisions, while many school districts substituted "moment of silence" for previous religious activities.

Those who objected to the "wall of separation" challenged the court. The Establishment Clause, they argued, was intended only to prevent the establishment of a State Church such as the Church of England. "The intent of the Framers"-as a point argued before the Court- became a significant question in Wallace v. Jaffree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
I am on a neutral standpoint on this topic, But I am interested in the opinions of those who take the time to read this.

How has this affected the governments policy of separation of church and state?

Can you think of any more controversial issues past the introduction of Evolution in the Classrooms?
Update: Details on Wallace v. Jaffree case:
http://atheism.about.com/library/decisions/religion/bl_l_WallaceJaffee.htm
Update 2: Wild Thing: hehe, im not actually quoting it, im reading it from the paper in my Government class. I find it interesting nonetheless, and how the Legislature overrode the Supreme Courts decision about half way through.
5 answers 5