Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

im looking for a good book?

i havent read in ages. im looking for a fiction book i can just pick up anytime and continue reading. a site that gives brief summary of books would be good. last good one i read was the da vinci code but couldnt get into the other dan brown ones though. i watch prog like lost. a weird book with a plot etc similar to lost would be good. id like one where the storyline involves time travel. a well written one please too ie no big / diffuicult language. im a 23 yr old male from ireland.

am looking for a book seperate thats fictional but inspiring . not depressing and not self help

thanks

not one thats merely words but must have good descriptions and imagery for visualising etc

i dont like fantasy books or mythology etc as in first suggestion sorry. hate things like lord of rings. like real life / science fiction books so a mix of the 2. i love prog lik hustle too

hate fantasy and vampires........

im 23 so adult books only..........

didnt like the writing of slaughterhouse 5

new books or recent ones. hate harry potter

Favorite Answer

Picnic at Hanging Rock (Joan Lindsay)

A mystery, in 1900 a group of school girls go on a picnic to Hanging Rock on St Valentine's day. By the end of the day three students and one teacher have disappeared.

Hitch hikers guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)

Hitch hiking around the universe

Girl Interrupted (Suzanna Keyson)

Virgin Suicides (Jeffrey Eugenides)

Teen dramas - one in a mental institution in the 1960's and 5 sisters in a similar era...

The Shiralee (Dárcy Niland)

A man after World War two works on the road and then ends up with his four year old daughter - his shiralee or burden - but she grows on him...

Into the Wild (John Krakauer)

A young guy who drops out of life...

Harp in the South; Poor Man's Orange; Missus (Trilogy by Ruth Parks)

A series about a family - a poor working class Irish imigrants to Australia...

The intricate plot of Monster always puts me in mind of Lost (I'm a big Lost fan). The main character, who's a doctor, even reminds me intensely of Jack. But it's psychological, not sci-fi. On top of that, it's a manga, so . . . Lol.

I've never read Slaughterhouse Five, but I've read lots of posts saying that the time travel on Lost was probably inspired by that famous book. Maybe you want to check that out. :)

EDIT: Don't want to offend anyone, and I see now you don't like vampires/fantasy, but omg, even if you did, I BEG you don't read Twilight. It's absolutely awful. I haven't read a hyped-up fantasy novel I hated this much since Eragon. And this is coming from someone who ADORES the hyped-up Harry Potter series.

EDIT: Hmm . . . Ha ha, I'm determined to come up with something. Are you opposed to Stephen King? Because The Tommyknockers was a very good (though slightly overlong) sci-fi-set-in-the-real-world book. No time travel, though. One of his better novels, in my opinion.

Harry Potter is good. The books are very detailed and they will want to make you read on. The first chapter of each of the books can be annoying, but the story which builds up to the plot is great.

Recent author made her debut with Such a Pretty Girl.

Laura Wiess.

Such a Pretty Girl

Synopsis: "Meredith was promised nine years of safety, but they only gave her three. Her father, who was sent to prison for sexually abusing Meredith and other children in their small town, has been released on good behavior. He was supposed to be locked up until Meredith's eighteenth birthday, when she could legally be free of both her abusive father and her delusional mother who dwells on a fantasy that the three of them will be a happy family once more.

But Meredith is only fifteen, and her father is out of prison...and her mother is bringing him home. And Meredith won't let him hurt her, or anyone else, ever again. No matter what the cost.

Lyrical, suspenseful, and emotionally shattering, Such a Pretty Girl captures a young woman's painful fight for survival -- and her journey back to herself."

Another book following her debut book was Leftovers by Laura Wiess

Leftovers

Synopsis: "Blair and Ardith are best friends who have committed an unforgivable act in the name of love and justice. But in order to understand what could drive two young women to such extreme measures, first you'll have to understand why. You'll have to listen as they describe parents who are alternately absent and smothering, classmates who mock and shun anyone different, and young men who are allowed to hurt and dominate without consequence.

You will have to learn what it's like to be a teenage girl who locks her bedroom door at night, who has been written off by the adults around her as damaged goods. A girl who has no one to trust except the one person she's forbidden to see.

You'll have to understand what it's really like to be forgotten and abandoned in America today.

Are you ready?"

I highly recommend both.

Try Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - best book I have read for a long time

you could read naruto. It rocks and Twillight is good too. Oops, I forgot to mention Harry Potter, Max Remy, You could even read inkheart, or any other book that rocks. Btw. Naruto is a manga. Gosh, I lurve it alot!

Idlewild by Nick Sagan.

Try the Twilight Saga. The books are by Stephenie Meyer. Also, for teenagers, the brand Mix (look for it on the spine of the book, colorful book) publishes good books.

Twilight Twilight Twilight Twilight Twilight Twilight Twilight!!!!! Twilight Twilight Twilight Twilight Twilight Twilight Twilight!!!!!

Oh... once you finish Twilight, New Moon, it can get a bit tedious in the middle, but keep going the end's exciting, then Eclipse, then Breaking Dawn