When will our Sun have a supernova?

nothing to add after that.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Our Sun isn't massive enough to go supernova. Instead, it will go through a red giant phase. When it runs out of fuel (hydrogen) the core will contract in order to stay hot and when it reaches a certain temperature and is dense enough it will start fusing helium. It's like it doesn't want to die :) The outer layers expand and cools, our Sun is now bigger and more luminous. Oh, and it's red.

Then after some time the red giant will eventually run out of helium so the core contracts even more to stay hot and I think even hotter. It becomes more luminous and its outer layers expand again. Then, because the push of radiation is stronger than the pull of gravity, the star will lose its outer layers. The outer layers are glowing beautifully because of the hot core, that's what a planetary nebula is - the glowing material surrounding the core. That nebula is just weakly held by gravity and will eventually disappear.

What was once our Sun will now remain a white dwarf and, supported by degenerate electron pressure, will no longer contract. It will cool down verrrry slowly. Suprisingly way slower than me lol, I take forever in writing these Astronomy & Space answers but it's how I can learn.

Source(s): Professor Weinberg's Winter, 1997 section of Astronomy 162 http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~dhw/Intro/cur...
    • Nolan T6 years agoReport

"to stay hot" is somewhat anthropomorphic. It contracts because the outward pressure of energy going out decreases, the force that keeps all that mass from collapsing to the center due to gravity. Otherwise great answer!

• 1 decade ago

No, the sun won't. it is not large enough to form a supernova. Instead, as it uses up its hydrogen and then helium fuel, it will expand in size to a red giant; extending out beyond the orbit of Mercury and Venus. Earth will be vaporised in the intense heat, then when the sun's energy is used up, it will shrink back down to a white dwarf, very dense, and smaller than the earth.

For a star a lot larger than the sun (about ten or more times), they might go through several phases of swelling up and shrinking; finally becoming unstable and exploding in a massive supernova.

• 3 years ago

Will The Sun Go Supernova

• 1 decade ago

Our sun isn't going to supernova.

Our sun is too small to go supernova, or even nova. Look up Chandrasekhar's Limit -- named for the astronomer who determined this, it gives the sizes at which a star can go nova (1.4 times larger than our Sun) or supernova (3.2 times larger than our Sun).

In either case, a star goes nova or supernova (depending on its mass) after it has first expanded from the heat of its internal fusion; if it expands enough, the fusion energy drops (because there isn't enough material close enough together to fuse). This causes the star to cool, which makes it shrink. The faster it shrinks -- due to the inertia of the mass out at the edge -- the denser it gets, which causes fusion to heat it up again. Only this time, the mass moving from the edge to the center has a lot more momentum, enough to compress it much more rapidly by the time it gets close to the center of the star.

Stars above a certain mass (again, 40% or more larger than our Sun) do this quickly enough that instead of fusing continuously as a normal star does, the star fuses in a matter of moments, releasing millions of times more energy in a few seconds than the star normally does.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It will never have one.

The Sun is too small to go supernova. Instead (in about 5 billion years) it will begin burning helium, swell to a red giant (swallowing Mercury and Venus, and maybe Earth too) and then blow off it's outer layers into a planetary nebula, while the core of the sun shrinks to a white dwarf.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Never. Our sun isn't large enough to die out in a Supernova.

Our sun has been predicted to turn into a Red Giant that will extend past the orbit of Earth after it's internal gases burn up (yes, therefore destroying Earth, Venus, and Mercury-barely sparing Mars) and will then become a white dwarf

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Our sun isnt massive enough to become a supernova, only a red giant. Our sun will become a red giant and then collapse into a white dwarf in about 5 billion years. So we have until then to evacuate the earth ;)

• europa
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Our Sun is not massive enough to go supernova, instead it will expand as a red giant and become a white dwarf eventually.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Our sun is not large enough to go super-nova, it will eventually just expand and then turn into a white dwarf star if I'm not mistaken.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A man in the audience of an Astronomy lecture was drifting off..

Suddenly he started up, and interrupted the host. "Did you say the sun will explode in five billion years?"

"Yes, I did" was the reply.

"Oh, thank goodness, I thought you said five MILLION years!"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.