BEATDOWN asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

male or female doberman?

should I get a male or female doberman tell things about either one of them such as which of them would be better to put with my female maltese and tell me how their attitudes and behaviors and anything else you can tell me

Best Answer

Every dog has their own personality. The different sexes can definitely play a role in your dogs general mood but their own personality will shine through regardless of their sex. You could get a very dominant dog and never have expected it to be.

The real thing is, your dogs should be spayed/neutered before you put them together. Introducing two dogs together should be a calm, loving process. You don't want it to turn chaotic.

The best advice I can give - check out Cesar Millan's website. He has plenty of advice on how to bring two dogs together and advice on picking the right dog for you right from a puppy. That way you can find a dobe puppy that suits you and your current dogs energy level and needs.

Good luck! I love dobes! (Get a red one!! :))

Every animal regardless of sex has its own unique personality...so your question works either way.Since you have a female already,i would get a male.A close friend of mine has two dobermans one female the other male,the male [Harvey] is so much sweeter and easygoing then the female [Diva].From what I've seen Dobermans are great dogs loyal,funny characters,and protective without being aggressive. When i look back on every dog I've had my boys seem to be more gentle and less serious then my girls [but that's just my opinion].I think you should go check out some puppies with your Maltese and which ever one catches your eye,you should get.Go with your gut,if you dog likes other canines in general you shouldn't have a problem :)

After breeding dobermans many years ago l would in your case if you have a female go for a fixed male as two females do not always get along.The hard thing is the males are just so powerful that you would have to enrol in Obedience classes to learn how to train the dog and this must be done carefully as they are highly intelligent;able to twist their owners round their paws and have a mind of their own.They are wonderful breed and l will always love them as my first choice of breeding dogs.If you have a very submissive maltese you may be able to get away with a female dob as in general they are a little smaller less powerful but still have a dominance issue and all the traits dobs have.Usually a doberman outhinks you and this is part and parcel of the breed.They are completely different to the maltese not just in size but behaviour and individual traits.if you want info re Dobermans go to the AKC website and look up Dobermans there.No one can really tell you what To do we all draw on personal experiences.As for me l would never mix a large dog like the Dob with living with a small dog like the maltese but that is a personal observation only

Source(s): Breeder(40 yrs),vet nurse,Dog Trainer

If you are purchasing from a breeder it is best to consult the breeder, a reputable breeder will tell you all about their breeding dogs temperaments. They can assist you in choosing the right Doberman for you, whether it be a male or female from your chosen litter. The dogs temperament has alot to do with what gender you choose, you could choose a hyper female that may play to roughly with your Maltese or your breeder could choose a really calm male that would take alot of abuse from your Maltese but still maintain the protective standards you expect out of a Doberman. My best advice is consult your breeder and provide them with as much information about your current dog and what you are looking for in your new Doberman pet.

I've always found that female dobermans were more gentler in nature than the males and great with smaller animals...but if you are planning to get a female, you really need to make sure both your dogs are spayed or you will be having fights on your hands.

I don't have Dobies, but we have some great people on here that do, so I am starring so we can get you some great answers.

good luck, It's just me, but I always prefer males over females, I think they train better and are less moody for any breed,..but that's my opinion, not set in rock, stone or anything else, just my preference.

I have seen males so gentle a litlte dog could whip then, then of course the same with females...male with male if all neutered are great companions, mine have been.....and none of my 3 are neutered males, no sign of aggression to each other ever.....big ole playmates to each other....

Source(s): Breeder, owner, handler 15 yrs Min,. Schnauzers 1 Male Min Schnauzer 16 lbs and king of the house LOL proud owner also of Male Newfoundland 205 lbs a big baby Male Akita 106 llbs and gentle as a lamb and Certified Therapy Dog..

I think you should get a male. Females tend to be more dominant then males, especially with other females. Good luck and hope this helped!