10 points...I'm having pain in my chest (lung area)?

It feels like my left rib or lung hurts. Almost like when I try to take a deep breath I have a belt tightening around my torso preventing me to take a good breath of air.I did have a slight case of bronchitis a week or two ago, but I was feeling good right after I got better, now I feel a lot of pain in that general area.It hurts to breath! I have a doc appt. tomorrow, I was wondering if it is possible to get pneumonia in only one lung?

or does it always start in both lungs?

Also,I have been told by doctors that I get gall stones, but I have no idea what the heck this could be....it hurts in my back also. I don't remember any slight pain leading up to the event, just a sudden pain, that has not went away for two whole days..

Best Answer

oh huny u poor thing i hope u feel better soon.

look i had the same prob re the breathing andf chest pains etc i think u have probably damaged your intercostal muscle (its the muscles between the ribs) and that can happen with bronchitis or even with something as simple as exercise! get it checked out but i dont think it wud be too serious...well at least i hope not...if i am right then all you need is time and not over doing the physical activity.

on the other hand if u feeling pain in your chest on the left side and you are also feeling odd aches near your heart it could be that you have acid reflux problems sometimes bad acid can make you feel chest pain short of breathe and even make u feel like you throat is closing up (rxn from acid) so perhaps a good idea to check that out....

now about the gall stones:(see link below)

What causes them?

Gallstones are lumps of solid material that form in the gall bladder - the reservoir for bile. Most are the size of peas, but they can be as large as pebbles. Gallstones can be found in the gall bladder itself, or in the bile duct that connects the gall bladder to the small intestine.

Gallstones are made of cholesterol, bile pigments or calcium, or a combination of these.

Often gallstones don't cause symptoms, but if one partially or completely blocks the normal flow of bile it may cause an attack of biliary colic, with upper abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting.

These episodes are normally brief and typically follow a fatty meal, which causes the gall bladder to contract.

Stones that continue to block the drainage of bile can cause inflammation or infection of the gall bladder and bile ducts, jaundice and acute pancreatitis.

Who's affected?

Many people will develop gallstones. Overweight people over 40, pregnant women and women in general are all more likely to develop them. They're also more common in people of Asian and European origin.

Eating a high-fat diet makes gallstones more likely to form.

How are they treated?

Eating a low-fat diet and maintaining an ideal weight may help to prevent the formation of gallstones.

Occasionally they pass out into the intestines on their own, especially if they're small. Treatment is only needed if gallstones are causing problems.

Complementary therapies may be tried to help remove gallstones, but there's little evidence they do any good.

Medical (non-surgical) treatments include a drug to dissolve the gallstones (ursodeoxycholic acid) and ultrasonic shockwaves, called lithotripsy, to break down the stones within the body so they can pass out on their own. These are suitable for about one in five patients, but there may be side-effects and the stones may simply form again.

There are various different surgical options:

* Operating through an endoscope (telescope into the gut). Stones may be broken down within the gall bladder and removed.

* Removal of stones and gall bladder (cholecystectomy). This is the most reliable treatment. As with all operations, there are risks and complications, but these are steadily reducing as techniques improve.

Cholecystectomy may be done as an open operation through a cut in the abdomen, or a closed or minimally invasive operation via an endoscope put through a tiny cut in the abdominal wall. There used to be concern about the safety of this type of surgery, but in skilled hands it's now as safe as open surgery and is how most cholecystectomies are done in the UK.

Any complications?

It used to be thought people adapted quickly to the loss of a gall bladder, but there may be problems. Some patients still have symptoms, albeit much milder. Others have problems with bile refluxing into the stomach and gullet, causing severe indigestion.

There may also be reduced absorption of fat resulting in diarrhoea. This usually - but not always - settles.

This article was last medically reviewed by Dr Rob Hicks in April 2008

Hope all this helps....sorry if i overloaded u with info but i think its good for you to know whats going on inside!

wishing you good health and happiness ;)

tc

jia

xox

It is possible that pneumonia would affect only one lung. Your doctor will be able to test and find out. Tell him/her every detail you can about the pain. Does it happen more often at a certain time of day, does the pain have a radiating feeling or a localized feeling, etc. Maybe the bronchitis you had has left phlegm in your lung and it's uncomfortable. The doctor will help you. Good luck!

listen you have a doctors appointment tomorrow and it wouldnt be fair to you to try and second guess what the doctor will say but take it easy it could be any number of things but what ever it its you will get better i know its scary but but trust in the doctor he/she will know whats best for you as for the pneumonia question it may be possible to get it in one lung but if this is the case he/she will give you antibiotics to eradicate the infection take care you will be ok my mom suffers with her lungs and she doin good so will you

Source(s): personal experience

it is either a lung problem (as in enlargement or, im sorry to say this, cancer) or a cracked rib.

go see a doc

dehydration:) i had it all time when i never drank water, drink at least 3L itres of water