what is a Gateway Drug?

what is a gateway drug and what are 2 examples of it?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

A gateway drug is a drug that "opens the gate" to other drugs.

Usually it means that a more mild drug leads to taking other drugs.

Two examples are marijuana and alcohol.

The idea is that, if you start smoking pot and drinking, you're around people and situations where you're more likely to be exposed to drugs like ecstasy and meth. In addition, if you have fun/enjoy smoking pot and drinking, you're more likely to think you'll have fun/enjoy other drugs and try them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a less harmful drug. By doing them your body/mind will want a stronger "high" so you will get into other stronger drugs such as cocaine and meth.

Marijuana and Tobacco can be examples of gateway drugs.

• 1 decade ago

a gateway drug is a drug that does do to much damage itself but sets yuo up to use "harder drugs" weed is a common gateway drug... srry i cant think of another example

• 1 decade ago

Drugs that lead to other drugs. Like marijuana, alcohol, and tobacco are all gateways.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

A gateway drug is a drug that when you become addicted to it, leads you to try and become addicted to a more destructive or heavy drug.

ex: Cigarettes to Marijuana

Extascy sp? to Meth

• 1 decade ago

Absolutely.. Weed is a big one.. However alcohol can be considered a second. Alcohol loosens your inhibitions and makes bad decisions easier to say yes to.

• 1 decade ago

Sort of a "starter" drug - one not to serious.

Like tobacco - no big deal to try it.... but maybe you want something else.

You try marijuana - again, no big deal (except illegal), ... but maybe you want something stronger....

Not everyone who smokes or smokes pot will try something else, but almost everyone into harder drugs began with at least pot.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

its any drug that when you get used to it you want a better high, pot is the main problem today.

• 1 decade ago

A drug that you start using and then you move on to more serious drugs... I would say weed is the major one... I dunno what else. lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.