Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 decade ago

work experience..please help?

im 15 and i've got work experience coming up in june i think...

atm my placement is hospital..

do you guys think this will be very boring for me? and do you have any other suggestions, just ignore the fact that you know nothing about my interests...just guess =] x

Favorite Answer

Hi Christina,

It will only be boring if you allow it to be. My suggestion is that one weekend before you commence your work-experience you visit the hospital and talk with the person who hires you.

Tell them that you would like to be involved in work that is of value to the patients either directly or indirectly.

Directly might be where you spend time reading to or talking with a patient.

Indirectly might be where you help in distributing meals to the patients.

As you tour the wards, try to think what it is that you would like to do.

This is important - whatever you are asked to do - give it your best shot no matter how menial it may seem to you and do it with a smile on your face.

Something I once read - "If your job is to sweep the side of the roadway, try to be the best roadway sweeper in the city."

That simply means, take pride in every thing you do. if you follow this advice you will not be embarrassed to ask for a job reference at the end of your work-experience.

It would also be useful if you kept a small notebook and recorded your duties - this would become part of your job search portfolio when you leave school or college.

Best wishes for your work-experience.

Source(s): Helping with work experience.

I guess it would depend on what ward you have been placed. I would really enjoy working in pediatrics or the emergency room. A couple of years ago, I had to volunteer in a nursing home and it was complete torture. Sooo boring! I just walked around with a library cart, trying to find someone who wasn't asleep. I know that's not exactly like working in a hospital, but it's along the same lines. I would say just make the best out of whatever placement you get. I have found most of my 'work experience' to be relatively dull because since I was young when I did it, I didn't get much responsibility. Lots of observing.