Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

So what do you think of our Attorney General saying this?

WASHINGTON – Eric Holder, the nation's first black attorney general, said Wednesday the United States was "a nation of cowards" on matters of race, with most Americans avoiding candid discussions of racial issues. In a speech to Justice Department employees marking Black History Month, Holder said the workplace is largely integrated but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives.

I agree with the first black thing...and I agree you can't discuss it honestly or you are called a racist, or deleted on here and outside our walls.

I dont' really see him saying anything wrong but I don't see anything wrong with people wanting to segerate themsevles either that should be a choice not a racial issue.

Favorite Answer

People don't want "candid" talks about race-it's not "PC". I found Black History Month to be racist-what other races have a month of history? And guess what people can do as they please on their time off- what now-will different races be forced to hang out-this is getting way out of hand. I generally do not hang out with people of other races since I don't have friends of other races-not because I didn't choose them but because that's how it turned out-I have been friends with people of other races and for the most part we had different interests-now I live in a predominately white area although my neighbor is black-we chat but he's an old man and we have nothing in common so no-we don't hang out.

I've made it a point now that when I read something that starts "the first black..." I stop reading. It's not because I'm prejudiced. It's because I'm sick and tired of the media reminding us, as though we should be surprised that someone who is black could possibly get this or that job. Are we supposed to marvel over the fact that "the first black" anything? Really, if a person has this position, I would hope they have earned it, and are qualified for it. Big deal if they are black. Big deal if they are the first. I just wish they would focus more on the actual person and less on the race. Am I the only one here who doesn't take someones race as a qualifying factor? I take people on a one to one base, and it is based solely on their character. Race, to me, is irrelevant.

With that said, "a nation of cowards" remark reminds me of something that you hear from the Middle East, when they talk about the US as Zionists, infidels and cowards. He states that we "self segregate". How would he know, seeing as he has "segregated" himself with only white coworkers (come one, he's the first, as we've been told a thousand times).

Being an AG, you would think he would choose his words more carefully.

People choose to be with like people, always have, always will. Just look at any school or business in the lunch room. The hispanics eat with the hispanics, the blacks with the blacks, etc. But calling us a nation of cowards is just plain wrong and nasty. Wanting to be with similar people of your race is certainly NOT being a coward.

Holder is a pathetic piece of garbage. How about this for irony? If you discuss race issues honestly here at Yahoo Answers, your questions/answers get deleted.

• I think that if we had a more "courageous" dialog about race, it would consist in large part of white people saying blacks should stop whining about race all the time.

Whether that's a good thing or not, I believe it is what would happen.

Oh yeah eric a person can't even say the word black without being called racist. Now what the hey you want people to say yeah i'm racist. now who's being stupid.

I must say yo are talking out both sides of your mouth.

Read the news about crime; no wonder we 'self-segregate'. Until that is fixed, there will be stereotypes of this nature.

• ARBOB

What do I think of Holder? I can't say it here because I would, once again, be bumped! I can just say, "consider the source" and "consider his past ACCOMPLISHMENTS!"

• Jimbo

I think his word choice was poor, but I think he's essentially correct.

If I'm honest with myself, one of the chief reasons I don't socialize with other-raced people is because I fear saying the wrong thing, fear that I might misunderstand their cultural values, fear that I will fail to genuinely connect or identify with them, fear that they will fail to connect with me, fear that they might challenge me in some way. I wouldn't use the word 'coward', but 'fear' is more accurate and less inflamatory.

ITS TRUE, I AM NOT RACIST BUT DONT FEEL COMFORTABLE HANGING OUT IN GANG TERRITORY.