Ecuador Properties for US Citizens - How Good is Ecuador for Buying Properties & Settling Down?

Favorite Answer

Ecuador is a pretty friendly place for expats and quite close to the US too (4-hour flight from Miami). They use the US dollar as their main currency, so they're definitely US & West-friendly.

After Costa Rica, this is the one South American destination that I see retirees and couples alike, moving to. Foreigners own full property rights, so that's a definite plus as far as buying Ecuador properties is concerned.

One of the guys I met calls Ecuador the last great beachfront bargain in Latin America. He sums up the country quite succintly.

Why buy when you can rent for less than 3000 a year. I'm not sure about Ecuador, but I've looked in other countries and the properties I would want are not that cheap. Plus more fun to move around, or freedom to bail whenever.