promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Kelly K asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

What was another way Richard the lionheart raised money for the third crusade?

Update:

Please help I need the answer for my history teacher and I have straight A's so I don't want to get out of the honor roll.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • James
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Richard swore an oath to renounce his past wickedness in order to show himself worthy to take the cross. He started to raise and equip a new crusader army. He spent most of his father's treasury (filled with money raised by the Saladin tithe), raised taxes, and even agreed to free King William I of Scotland from his oath of subservience to Richard in exchange for 10,000 marks. To raise even more money he sold official positions, rights, and lands to those interested in them. Even those already appointed were forced to pay huge sums to retain their posts. Even William Longchamp, Bishop of Ely and the King's Chancellor, made a show of bidding £3,000 to remain as Chancellor. He was apparently outbid by a certain Reginald the Italian, but his bid was refused.

He was known as Richard the Lionheart, or Cœur de Lion, even before his accession, because of his reputation as a great military leader and warrior.[1] [nb 1]At only 16, Richard was commanding his own army, putting down rebellions in Poitou against his father, King Henry II.[2] Richard was a central Christian commander during the Third Crusade, effectively leading the campaign after the departure of Philip Augustus, and scoring considerable victories against his Muslim counterpart, Saladin.[3] [4] While he spoke very little English[5] and spent very little time in his Kingdom, preferring to use it as a source of revenue to support his armies,[6] he was seen as a pious hero by his subjects.[7] He remains one of the very few Kings of England remembered by his epithet, not number, and is an enduring, iconic figure in England

Richard was the younger maternal half-brother of Marie de Champagne and Alix of France. He is often depicted as having been the favourite son of his mother, Eleanor of Aquitaine.[nb 2]

Although born at Beaumont Palace, Oxford, England, like other early Plantagenets Richard was essentially French.

When Richard I was crowned King of England, he barred all Jews and women from the ceremony (apparently a concession to the fact that his coronation was not merely one of a king but of a crusader), but some Jewish leaders arrived to present gifts for the new king. According to Ralph of Diceto, Richard's courtiers stripped and flogged the Jews, then flung them out of court. When a rumour spread that Richard had ordered all Jews to be killed, the people of London began a massacre. Many Jews were beaten to death, robbed, and burned alive. Many Jewish homes were burned down, and several Jews were forcibly baptised.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.