Paige H asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

How do antibiotic pills find infection?

I can only see antibiotics working topically. Someone with some edumacation help me understand!

for real, 10 pts

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

After ingestion, the pills go thru your digestive system, blah blah blah, and get absorbed into your bloodstream. From there, the outer layers of the pill our dissolved, and the "business end" is revealed. Each antibiotic pill is full of antigens designed to fit a specific bacterium. Generally, an antibiotic pill will handle multiple forms of the same bacterium, or several common bacteria. As it flows, the antigens(inside the little spheres in a pill) will match up chemically with each bacterium it passes until it finds the right one. The bacterium will lyse, and leucocytes(white blood cells) will immediately abosrb the residue, and begin making antibodies for that particular pathogen.

The antibiotics, in essence, introduce antigens to your system to tempoarily stop the pathogens, and to build your immunity to the specific germs.

the finding job is done with now-alert leucocytes, and with the antigens fitting the niches in the pathogens.

Source(s): 8 years (going on 9) of teaching microbiology
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good question! They find infections by stumbling upon them through the bloodstream. Antibiotics do not have a long-range microbe seeking system. Different antibiotics work in different ways but all interfere with the bacteria's survival functions.

• 1 decade ago

Antibiotic pills enter your blood steam which every cell in your body depends on. They indiscriminately kill all bacteria in your body (good and bad). That is why they should not be used unless really needed. Don't pressure the doctor for antibiotics every time you get a fart stuck crosswise.

• 1 decade ago

i dont think they "find" infections, i believe, and i may be wrong but u can look it up further, but i think it makes your body produce more white blood cells which fight off infections, and by the next time ur body fights off the same cells, you become more immune to it because it has already fought it off before, does this help? sry

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

cool question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.