Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Why do people from the south still wave the confederate flag?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They just want to display their pride in the Confederacy and the South. When the Confederates seceded, they were defending their way of life, so the flag is a representation of the South's right to live the way it wants to live. At this point, it doesn't really have any racial connotations, as it's pretty clear that the Civil War was fought more over the topic of economy than it was over slavery. By waving the flag, Southerners are just making the statement that while they are Americans, they will always be Southerners too and they will defend the South's interests.

At least they don't wave the Confederate South at the same level as the U.S. flag. In Texas, they do that with the Lone Star Flag, which I always thought was funny because Texas was begging us to join the Union for years...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most people in the south who waves those flags are rednecks...

But I have a friend that has a confederate flag in her room . I mean some use it as a form of racism and then some use it as a form of pride.

Source(s): GA Southerner
  • 1 decade ago

I have a better question - Why do people from New Jersey sport the confederate flag? They didn't do it during the civil war. I just don't get it. Funny thing is, it comes hand in hand with pick up trucks with oversized tires and coors light, and chevy tattoos.

• 1 decade ago

Hey now.. I'm from the South and have never waved a Confederate flag.

I guess some people do because their great great grandparents did or they think it's like southern loyalty or whatever..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Um becuase the fighters down south were fvck awsome

Dude I seriously have a confederate flag in my truck

• 1 decade ago

It's part of their heritage.

The Confederated States was a completely different country that The United States.

They are proud that their ancestors fought and died for what they believed in.

Source(s): I'm from Ohio.
  • 1 decade ago

2 Legit 2 Quit

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because they are stupid. I know someone who thought the south won. This tells you the intelligence level of these people.

It is something that really upsets me and I find it racist.

• 1 decade ago

There are idiots everywhere,more so in the south.

Not everyone does that nowadays,but I get your point.

• 1 decade ago

People in Wisconsin still do it too. They mean it in a rebellious way though. They are too dumb to know that it has a connection with slavery, but yeah, they are racists.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.