US expat (potential) - Language question (English, French, German)?

Hi, I am seriously considering moving to Basel, and had a "language" question. I am a native speaker of English, took French for a few years but am pretty rusty, and was wondering if it's best to concentrate on brushing up on my French, or to learn Swiss German/Basel style (I see that just learning... show more Hi, I am seriously considering moving to Basel, and had a "language" question. I am a native speaker of English, took French for a few years but am pretty rusty, and was wondering if it's best to concentrate on brushing up on my French, or to learn Swiss German/Basel style (I see that just learning German i.e. "German for Dummies" is probably not the same at all as spoken in Basel).

I haven't found much information in if "Basel French" (or "Swiss French") is much like "France French" -- although I've found plenty of sites that "Swiss German/Basel German" would make me understood in say, Berlin! So I would like to learn another language that is most useful in other areas.

I know English is widely spoken in Switzerland and presumably that includes Basel, but would like to take on another language (too bad this isn't encouraged more in the US! :-)

Thanks!
Update: whoops, in the above I meant:

"Swiss German/Basel German" would NOT make me understood in say, Berlin!