Raising a Guide Dog Puppy? (And other puppy help)?
1) Can I take the guide dog to school with me a couple times a week once it's a little older and trained well enough to behave?
2) Can I take the guide dog to a restaurant? What about a supermarket?
3) Can I take the dog to the movie theater?
4) I live in Florida, where it's hot hot hot most of the year. Of these breeds, which would shed the least in my climate? Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever (yellow and black), Australian Shepherd, Smooth Coat Collie, or Goldador (mix between golden and lab).
5) Which of the dogs listed above is the smartest/ most trainable?
6) Which of the dogs listed above would you personally recommend?
7) For past guide dog puppy raisers, do you have any tips for me? Also, what exactly are the expectations of a puppy raiser? What types of things would i have to teach it? Are raisers usually allowed to pick out which breed they want to raise and/or gender?
I have a shitzu currently, so i know how to raise a stubborn puppy. :)
Thanks so much! I really, really feel inspired to do this. Not so much because I get to take care of a shedding, mess making bundle of joy, but because I really sympathize with blind people, and would do anything to help make their lives easier. (And i love animals too, so it's really like two pluses.)