Joe S
Lv 6
Joe S asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

If the U.S. experiences a revolution, will it be for the better or worse?

Granted, it is not a foregone conclusion that any such revolution will occur. But it should be readily observed that a great deal of discord is found among Americans. The most dire economic predictions suggest a complete collapse of our financial system. So revolution of some kind seem plausible to me.

In what direction would we go? Would there be more freedom or tyranny? More government? Less? For that matter, what would fit your definition of "better" or "worse"? What factors in society would lead to better or worse outcomes?

These are just a few ways in which you could probe my question. I'm really just looking for thoughtful answers. Other trains of thought could be given.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The first thing I am considering is what you are not asking about. You didn't mention civil war. True, we have had one of those, but the reason you are giving does have the possibility of different factions. You are not asking about potential violence to people or property. There was a "bloodless revolution" in England in 1688. 1 There is even an article listing the many forms a bloodless revolution might take.2

Instead, you move directly to potential outcomes. You are asking what will change. And I don't think you are seeking change for it's own sake though this seems to sometimes be a goal.3 I was schooled to believe that revolution was a rapid change and could be contrasted with an evolving change.

By definition it comes from the Latin meaning a "turn around.4" But it could be political, social or technological (industrial revolution.) But it's greatest enemy would have to be vested interests. When looking for more information about a "bloodless revolution" I came across a site that described a revolution in surgery. What was interesting was to notice that the article did not fail to include a discussion of the resistance provided by vested interests.5 T Jefferson suggested we should have a war or a revolution every 20 years and I think his concern was vested interests which over time could get a stranglehold on democracy. Regarding the financial system he said:

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."6

It seems fairly clear where he stood. But would this patriot even recognize the people who populate the continent today. Over time there has been an increasing attempt to streamline and make more efficient the education system. Measurable results are more highly valued than individual independent thinking. The same influences of Bread and Circus that could win the vote of a Roman population are in play today. Take away income or the internet and their might be a revolution but leave these and it might be possible to take away everything else quietly.

Consider what you might be willing to give up for political change. As the threat comes closer to home it is more likely you will put up with a great deal before Revolution is an acceptable alternative.

I see a great play between forces. Vested interests are in control. They are organized, strong and have clear goals of ever more power and control. But they are just a few compared to the many. They are like the young boy pulling the bull by the nose ring. A bee might change the equation for a short time. Like the boy vested interests do not wish to awaken the body of the country to it's potential power.

Time will tell the outcome.

• 1 decade ago

It would not be for the good. Another civil war in America would be at best a bloody conflict that will divide most. The most important factor is who would the victor be, what foriegn influences would attempt to determine the victor, and would the United Nations attempt to suppress the US internal conflict. I think most will use the power of the vote and PAC. We are seeing the start of a revolution based on Americans increased involvement in the government. America for most part will be sickened of the politics as in and bring change without resorting to violence due to the way we govern allows our people to revolt without armed conflict. It was a in genius methodology established by our founders.

• gone
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Revolution usually produces something worse than what was revolted against. You want a revolution. Stop buying. Make them be reasonable in their pricing. Stop using those awful credit cards. They are a form of enslavement.

• 1 decade ago

It cannot be fore the worse.

Better is hard to say.

if an educated person said it is a big step.

The victors are many times worse then the previous Administration.

France is a good example of that.

Source(s): It caanot get worse or we are doomed it must be taken care of soon.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Red X
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Well our system is set up so it can be changed without a bloody revolution. Revolution is a very costly endeavor. So no matter who wins it will be for the worse.

• 1 decade ago

It would depend which side won and ultimately it would teeter on which direction the men and women of the military would lean.

• 1 decade ago

If we just went back to the Constitutional government we started with it would be nice.

• EFFFFFF BEEEEEEE EYEEEEEEE

is coming to your house boy!

Keep talking like that and see what happens!

• Teekno
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Probably.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.