Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

parents think i've been buying things with their credit card....HELP?!?!?

ok, my sister has purchased songs off itunes with my parents card (without permission!) and she used my computer, email and everything. and my parents believe her over me all the time, and since i'm the only who's always naughty, they'll believe her. my mum went on her online banking and it came up to £13, she phoned up the credit card company and they canceled her card and said they'll do a fraud investigation on it, because my mum thinks it's a randomer who has got her credit card details. does that mean that they'll find my email and my IP address/computer name, and then the blame will all go on me!?

my MUM will never believe me.

how much trouble would i get into?

would they give me a fine or something?

Favorite Answer

In your parents view, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck then its a duck. I learned a long time ago that even though my family is blood and should be the closest people to me does not mean I can blatantly provide them with my personal info. As the cardholder, if your parents discover the email acocunt associated with the charge then you are busted. If you all were total strangers your parents would have reported the card stolen which then you would be suspect unless you coud prove identity theft.

Basically the fact that your sister has access to your email is bad, you should change the password and not share it with anyone. If you have separate computers then you should require a password to login. If you share a computer then you should have your own account on that pc that is password protected that should be required to use to login to that account. Passwords should be difficult and different things should not have the same password (oe to log into the computer and into your email should not be the same password). Though you maybe the victim here, your lack of personal security will make you the suspect.

just be truthful to your Mum, and tell her now save her the embarrassment. and yes they will be able to find out the details of ip address from the order from the website, weather itunes is allowed to give this information to the credit card company i can not say, but part of my own roles is to monitor ip addresses on my company website, and report any customer orders which seem to be fraudulent.

if you say your sister has done this, then explain this to your mum. if she doesn't believe you well it is almost the boy who cried wolf scenario. learn your lesson now and change your passwords and logins for your computer and e-mail. and if your sister needs to use the computer make sure she has her own e-mail set up for future. this wont change the ip address but will prove that it was her account that placed the order.

The bank won't come close to what your Mum is going to do. You need to tell her what is going on now or you will be grounded until your 21.

'fess up, kiddo!