Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelLatin AmericaEcuador · 1 decade ago

has anybody ever been to Ecuador?

im moving to Ecuador this August to study at the Catolica University.....a lot of people say its a really nice place to live so im xcited!! but i don't know what to xpect, does anyone know some important things i should know before i go thanks??

im Ecuadorian i moved to the U.S 10 yrs ago but ihaven'tt been there in over 10 yrs so im scared cuz i don't know what to xpect?? let me knowthankss!!!!!

Favorite Answer

I lived in Ecuador for a year and have returned 5 times. I will be going during Spring Break in March to look for a house to buy. I will return in June and will stay for 3 months. I love the Ecuadorian people, culture, and the fabulous climate (we love the mountains). All the cautions given should be heeded. Do not go anywhere after dark by yourself. If you must travel at night go with others and take a reputable taxi. Stay away from the area around the bus station at night. The people are really very helpful and polite, especially if you know Spanish or at least try to speak in Spanish. Take advantage of all the great festivals, concerts, productions, and markets. I don't know where you live now, but be aware that Quito has a VERY high altitude. You will have to adjust slowly to walking around or you may have altitude sickness.

Source(s): Been there, done that, and can't wait to do it again.

Ecuador is really a special country, a vertical one. In a few hours you can go from Andes to Pacific Ocean passing thru many different ecosystems and cultures. The fact it is not a large country makes it an advantage. Moreover Ecuador has Galapagos Islands, some kind of magic for nature lovers.

Source(s): I have been there several times. Have a look here http://www.pachijalreserve.com/articoli/details.ph...

I spend 6 weeks there last year. I did see the Catolica University in Quito when I was there. The one thing you do need to know is to be very careful after dark, especially in Quito. Muggings seems to be the national pass time there after dark. If you do have to go out after dark, do not take more than a few dollars with you. And it helps to go with others but not much. My buddy and his 3 friends were mugged in Quito when they went out drinking. Also be sure to have your hand on your luggage at ALL Times. The traffic in Quito is worse than in most places in the US, much worse. But after dark all the traffic and all the people vanish from the streets.

I would go back in a heart beat. Ecuador is a wonderful place. Saw exactly 500 birds there.

Ecuador (IPA: /ˈɛkwədɔr/), officially the (Spanish: República del Ecuador Spanish pronunciation: [reˈpuβlika ðel ekwaˈðoɾ]), literally, "Republic of the equator") is a representative democratic republic in South America, bordered by Colombia on the north, by Peru on the east and south, and by the Pacific Ocean to the west. It is one of only two countries in South America (with Chile) that does not have a border with Brazil. The country also includes the Galápagos Islands in the Pacific, about 965 kilometers (600 miles) west of the mainland. Ecuador straddles the equator, from which it takes its name, and has an area of 256,371 square kilometers (98,985 mi²). Its capital city is Quito; its largest city is Guayaquil. Ecuador is one of only 17 megadiverse countries in the world according to the World Conservation Monitoring Centre.