Z0LA asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 decade ago

Potential Uses of Ultrasound In a Car (Black Box)?

Hi I am currently putting a design proposal together for ultrasound usuage in Black Box technology- the ones that are used by insurance companies and crash investigation.

So far I have come up measuring road profile - which I input into a suspension simulator to give a view of suspension during travel. And sensor and transmitters to detect exactly where a crash occured.

I was going to have ultrasound to calculate speed but I realised the doppler effect cant really be used with 'on board' transmitter and receivers.

Are there any other possible uses? I dont think there are, but that means I have very little to investigate and talk about in my design proposal.

Thanks for any help.

• Mike S
    Favorite Answer

I Don't know enough about ultrasound technology to give exact ideas, however, could it be used to measure how much the brakes actually move in comparison to pedal depression.

Meaning could a sensor, monitor brake movement and even brake pad thickness at the rotor? This info could signify if a problem occured in the braking system between the pedal and actual brake pad contact with the rotor.

The only other thing I could think of is to measure hand position on the steering wheel itself. which could give crash data as to body position comparable to injuries.

Hope this helps.

i've got by no ability heard of a Crash documents Recorder utilized in court docket, it is in simple terms a gadget used via the officer to help in the examine. i've got no longer heard of them being erroneous, do you have a hyperlink to a tale?