Which neighborhoods are safe in downtown Kansas City, Missouri?

I'm moving to KC for school and I'm looking for an apartment near Hospital Hill/downtown and on the Missouri side. I want to avoid rush hour traffic and commuting from the suburbs every day, but I also want to live somewhere that's safe for a single female. Which neighborhoods are safe? Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

For affordability and safety and fun and close to 27th & Holmes (hospital hill) I suggest checking out Just north of Westport like all the old school apartments on Roanoke just off 39th st. People on here exaggerate. A ton of the crime in KC is someone in the hood getting back at someone who wronged him in the hood. Don't hang out at 35th & Prospect causing drama at a party and odds are you're ok. Down town and the river market are pretty safe just not immediately east of down town, tons of homeless/salvation army residential/half way houses off 12 th & Paseo. The Plaza can be a little pricey. Welcome to KC! Hope you enjoy yourself!

• mu

I think that in general, your best bet is near the Plaza. That way you're also near the Hospital Hill area, which is apparently where you want to be. The Power and Light area downtown, and the Farmer's Market area north of downtown could also be options, although I'm not really sure on the safety issue. Check with the police department. They can probably provide some statistics on the various neighborhoods.

• matt p

I would avoid the plaza if your on a budget. It's clean nice and all but it's pricey. It's pretty much the closer to state line you are the better you'll be. You start getting further east you start getting to the hood.

My advice would be to look in the river market area or Brookside Waldo area. I've unlocked some places in the river market there pretty nice since they've re-did that area.

Source(s): locksmith
  • .-.

there are NO safe areas in downtown Kansas City, Missouri try the plaza most apts there are safe but your still suronded by crime

• m b

ya try and go toward the plaza area ...some of downtown isnt bad like the lofts and stuff close ot power and light .... theres really crime in kc every where .. i dont care where you live ....

most of them