I lost my green card and now found it. What do I do?

after I lost my green card I submited the aplication I-90 to the INS to replace my lost Green card.

Now I found it, I call INS; they said that I can send them a letter explaining that I found my Green Card but they don't know if the Green Card that I found is still a valid document since they already reported it as a lost document.

Should I just send the letter to them explaining what happen? or should I get a New Green Card?

I'm afraid to send the letter and end up with a Green Card that I can't use

please help me!

8 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You don't have to make it complicate, just get the new green card since you already report it lost.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Keep the green card and just feel sorry for the fee of the I-90 because immigration does not have a refund policy.

    in the first place, you're suppose to safeguard important documents like green cards (a lot of "bad" people are just to happy to get a hold of such important documents). ok,now that out of the way ...

    I said keep your green card and let immigration continue with the processing of the new one (the one you applied for, when you thought it was lost). When this "new" green card arrives, go to the nearest immigration office (where you applied for an I-90) and surrender the old one. More than likely, the new green card may have a much later expiration date.

    Better you lose a little money paying for a "duplicate" rather than having none at all.

    Source(s): lost mine and immigration gave me hell ... so protect yours ... well
  • 1 decade ago

    Make a photocopy of the front and the back of the card that you reported lost. When you get your new card, take the old card to a USCIS field office and turn it in. Be sure to record the name, position, title, and identifying number of the person you turn it in to along with the date, time, and which office.

    When you submitted the form to replace your card an alert was placed against the old card. You can tell the difference between the two as they will have different receipt numbers on them. When USCIS gets the lost card back they should cancel the alert as they know where the card is. If they don't get it back you will be subject to further scrutiny because the inspecting officers will have to make sure that you are not using the lost card and that you are the true owner of the card.

  • Phil
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Well you have the answer from USCIS -- you can send a letter and if the card is valid you will be able to use it. However, the odds are that you can't use it since it has been cancelled as "lost" in the database.

    Then again, I bet you paid a fee to apply for the replacement green card, right? As you won't get that back, you may as well wait for the replacement card to arrive and then you can destroy the old one or take it the CIS and surrender it.

    That way you will know you have a valid green card.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Surrender your old green card if a new one is already issued.

  • 5 years ago

    May I know from you what you have done finally?

    Did you try sending a letter & explaining?

    Or did you just issue a new one?

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Just get a replacement and keep the old one as a souvenir or turn it in for destruction.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for posting this, it helped me so much, as I'm facing the same situation right now!

    Thanks for all the comments!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.