Fantasy and Science Fiction book recommendations?

I want to start reading more fantasy and science fiction books, but it seems that there are so many out there (mostly series) and I want to weed the good from the bad without having to READ the bad to find out that they're bad. I've read (and liked): 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Neverending Story, The Once... show more I want to start reading more fantasy and science fiction books, but it seems that there are so many out there (mostly series) and I want to weed the good from the bad without having to READ the bad to find out that they're bad.

I've read (and liked): 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Neverending Story, The Once and Future King, Brave New World, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Watchmen, A Wizard of Earthsea, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, and His Dark Materials.

And before anyone recommends it: I've read the Twilight series and did not care for it.