Fantasy and Science Fiction book recommendations?

I want to start reading more fantasy and science fiction books, but it seems that there are so many out there (mostly series) and I want to weed the good from the bad without having to READ the bad to find out that they're bad.

I've read (and liked): 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Neverending Story, The Once and Future King, Brave New World, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Watchmen, A Wizard of Earthsea, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, and His Dark Materials.

And before anyone recommends it: I've read the Twilight series and did not care for it.

Favorite Answer

Fantasy happens to be my favorite genre! I'm an avid reader, and I love the inkheart series (everything by cornelia funke actually) harry potter, the inheritance cycle, his dark materials, etc. These are the books that I have really enjoyed, with the best ones having an astrix (*) next to them

the goblin woods by hilari bell*

all of tamora pierce's books (they're my favorite)***

the hunger games by Suzanne Collins** (definatly read, it's awesome especially if you like twilight)

graceling by Kristin Cashore *

Maximum Ride by James Patterson*

eon dragoneye reborn by Alison Goodman *

poison study by Maria Snyder**

Gifts by Ursula Le'Guin

the gemma doyle series by libba bray,

The Abhorson series by Garth Nix,

The Bartimeaus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud,*

the wee free men by terri Pratchett

the Two princesses of Bamare by Gail Carson Levine

inkheart by Cornelia Funke

narnia by C.S. Lewis

city of ember by Jeanne DuPrau

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragon Drums by anne macaffery

--------------------------------------...

Here are some other books that aren't my favorites (and aren't all fantasy) but are still good:

The Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charline Harris

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Dan Brown's books

Hoot by Carl Hiassen

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (though you might be too old for it)

Kelley Armstrong's Books (my favorite was Bitten*, but if you're more into the "non-horror" fantasy, you'll appreciate Dime Store Magic, Stolen, and just about every other book she's written)

Touch the Dark by Cassandra Palmer was surpringly good

Fairy Wars series by Herbie Brennan

Abarat by Clive Barker

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

Tithe* by Holly Black

Redwall series by Brian Jaques (Outcast of Redwall was my favorite)

The Dark Angel Trithology by Meredith Ann Pierce

Also, these links take the guess work out of choosing a book; they will match you and your preferences to a book that covers what you like to read about.

Enter a book you like and the site will analyse its database of real readers' favourite books (over 32,000 and growing) to suggest what you could read next.

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/

http://www.gnod.net/

http://www.allconsuming.net/

Good luck finding a book, and happy reading!

Neverwhere and the Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman are amazing. I have read almost all of the books mentioned above, and I honestly like Gaiman's books better. Neverwhere is like a dark Alice in Wonderland style of book. The Graveyard Book is a story about a boy who lives in a graveyead, which adds a creepy dimension to the tale, and it just won the Newberry award for this year. You should really give Gaiman a try!

• Marti

Definitely read Robert Jordan, Juliet Marillier, Kristen Britain, Scott Westerfeld, and George RR Martin.

Flash Forward by Robert J. Sawyer is a great short read. It's a sci fi novel about the Large Hadron Collider experiment which made a lot of news a few months back. Awesome read.

Magyk is a great book! it is by Angie Sage. it is the first book in the series . A wrinkle in time and the series is also good, have you read them yet? they are both great fantasy books