Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 decade ago

About TSH, SGOT/AST, SGPT (ALT), Bilirubin Total and Direct..?

Investigation for TFT and LFT was done and followings are findings:

T3, T4 within range, TSH at 6.97 uIU/ml i e high.

SGOT/AST at 52.00 U/L, SGPT (ALT) 82.00 U/L, Bilirubin, Total = 1.66 mg/dL and Bilirium, Direct at 0.35 mg/dL. Alkaline Phosphate within range.

Glucose (F) 101 normal, Cholestrol at 202.00 mg/dL i e at border line. BP remains within range of 140/80 but mostly 130/90:

I am 58 yrs Male and almost non alcoholic. Never smoking. Never suffered from Pilia.

Now my question is if Cholestrol at 202.00 mg/dL is responsible for high level of TSH?

Bilirubin Total at 1.66 could be due to size (more than normal) of liver or needs medical attention?

What the high level of SGO/AST and SGPT (ALT) hints?

Serious advice/answer from persons in medical profession or having self experience will be welcomed. Non-serious answers and directing to visit website shall be reported as abuse.

Thanks.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Cholesterol is related to thyroid function with low thyroid function hypothyroidism giving high cholesterol and those with hyperfunction hyperthyrodism giving lowed cholesterol values.

The TSH is elevated and abnormal indicating that free T4 and free T3 should be measured and if abnormally low and symptoms suggestive of hypothyroidism present then meds can be started. If they are still normal then the condition is called subclinical hypothyroidism.

As to the bilirubin, I would repeat the bilirubin in a non-fasting state. Some people with Gilberts syndrome have elevations in total bilirubin and normal direct bilirubins upon fasting which aggravated the total bilirubin. I would also look at your CBC closely for indications of a hemolytic anemia which would also account for indirect bilirubinemia (total bilirubin) such as what happens with certain medications or conditions.

The AST/ALT, you don't give the upper limit of normal and so generally the values are referenced with regards to how how many times normal they are out. Those are low level abnormalities that can be due to many causes including medications, alcohol, fatty liver, chronic hepatitis and other possibilities. Low levels are usually repeated several weeks later to see if they are still there after looking at things that may contribute to the liver elevations.

All of this must be taken within a clinical context. That means that lab values can be be understood without a valid clinical history and physical. You state known and so the comments above are general in nature and would defer to the doctor for a clearer picture and understanding pertaining to your case.

• 1 decade ago

Your cholesterol and TSH have nothing to do with each other.

The fact that your TSH is high, but t3, and t4 are normal, could indicate a small thyroid problem, but nothing to seriously be concerned with. If your t3, or t4 were elevated also, medication would be required to bring the levels back to normal, to keep your hormones in check, and not gain massive amounts of weight.

Your cholesterol...people of a certain age always seem to gain points in their numbers. Why? Because of years and years of 20th century diets. Is it your fault? Not really...but you need to change now. Butter = margarine. Veggie oil - olive oil. Things like that. Time to bring those numbers down now, rather than deal with the reprecussions in the future!

• Judi
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It appears as a chronic hepatitis or recovering from a recent hepatitis it could be drug induced ? Check the albumin level , which is produced in the liver , check the coagulation profile PT and AP TT levels

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.