Does a lawyer have to go to law school?

I chose to do law next year and my sister just said I'd have to go to law school for 7 years if I pursued it (as a career) =\!... Isn't law school optional?

Okay Im not really getting an answer lol, is it a yes or a no... Can you be a little bit more thorough//

?

Favorite Answer

First of all there is no such thing as a stupid question if the person asking is sincerely seeking an answer...and I find Geraldine to be quite sincere. "No, of course you don’t! Though it’s highly inadvisable (according to the American Bar Association), you can actually sit for the bar in 7 states without going to law school. (Those are California, Maine, New York, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wyoming – just in case you’re taking notes.) But hey, if skipping law school is good enough for Abe Lincoln, Clarence Darrow and My Cousin Vinny, it’s good enough for you, right? Of course, we haven’t mentioned the fine print, yet. If you’re going to ditch law school, you’ll have to apprentice with a lawyer (the same way Honest Abe did), and each state has its own requirements. California, for example, makes you take a “Baby Bar” exam after your first year as an apprentice to make sure you’re learning at the same rate as your law school peers. Vermont, on the other hand, makes you fill out semi-annual progress reports. So in the end, maybe law school is worth the extra bucks. According to the L.A. Times, just 20% of California’s apprentices have passed the bar exam." this is according to Mental_Floss which I find to be quite entertaining as well as knowledgeable. I think that it would improve your chances of getting a job that you want as opposed to a job you can get.

• Meg

Your first step is to go to college (majoring in whatever you would like) and receive your bachelor's degree. This step is non-negotiable and takes an average of 4 years.

As for law school, some states do not require you to go to law school to become a lawyer. However, they may have other requirements. Some states will allow non-law school graduates to attempt to receive a license if they have had a year of law school, or some sort of internship...but regardless, you still need to pass the Bar exam in whatever state you choose to practice. You won't get your license without passing the Bar and law school is generally going to be a huge asset when preparing. Although there are certainly ways around going to law school...suffice it to say that it's easier to take a final exam when you've sat through the class.

The bottom line: if you want to be a lawyer, you're probably going to have to go to law school. It's only three years on top of the four for your undergrad...you would be surprised how quickly the time flies.

Good luck with whatever you decide to pursue!

Source(s): Trying to decide on a law school for next year...

First of all, law school is only three years if you go full time. But some states allow you to sit for the bar without law school. Generally, you'd have to have been working in a law office in some capacity before you can take the bar. Look into it.

Well, going by the calibre of some of the lawyers around, I can see how you would think so.

Well you can go to prison instead. I hear their educational program is top notch.

Edit: Ok to be more precise, if you have to ask this then you are not getting into law school. Hope that helps.

Not after they are already lawyers....