how do you make toffee?

any fool proof recipes?

• tracy
    Favorite Answer

Yep -- this one:

Melt In Your Mouth Toffee

1 pound butter

1 cup white sugar

1 cup packed brown sugar

1 cup chopped walnuts

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Boil to brittle stage, 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) without stirring. Remove from heat.

2. Pour nuts and chocolate chips into a 9x13 inch dish. Pour hot mixture over the nuts and chocolate. Let the mixture cool and break it into pieces before serving.

And, this is really easy and good, too:

Saltine Toffee

37 saltine crackers

1 cup butter, cubed

3/4 cup sugar

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1 (1 ounce) square white baking chocolate

1 teaspoon shortening

1. Place crackers in a single layer in a foil-lined 15-in. x -10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. In a saucepan, bring butter and sugar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sugar is completely dissolved. Spread over crackers.

2. Bake at 350 degrees F for 7-8 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with chips. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until chips begin to melt; spread chocolate evenly over top. Melt white chocolate and shortening; drizzle over toffee. Chill for 15-20 minutes or until set; break into pieces. Store in the refrigerator.

Source(s): allrecipes.com

The Recipe for the Best English Toffee in the World

Ingredients:

1 Cup Water

2 Cup sugar

4 sticks sweet (unsalted) butter

1 lb. raw shelled almonds

1 1/2 lb. milk chocolate

Instructions:

Grease 2 9x13 pans and place in ice water. I've found that non-stick pans don't need to be greased. I run a couple of inches of water into my sinks and dump a tray of ice cubes in each and then put my pans in. It's important that the toffee cool quickly.

Chop half the almonds finely. I put them into the food processor. There should be smallish chunks left and a fair amount of almond dust.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. The quality of the chocolate is important. I've been using Hershey's Symphony Bars. White chocolate might be amusing. If you try it, let me know.

You'll need a large heavy pot to cook the toffee in: I use a Dutch oven. The size and weight of the pot is important. You don't want the toffee to burn and the heavy pot helps distribute the heat evenly. Plus, the mixture increases significantly in volume while boiling, so the pot needs to be large.

Stirring constantly over high heat, cook water and sugar until stringy. There's some debate over what the "stringy" instruction from the original recipe means. We've taken it to mean that when you pour the cooking mixture off your spoon, you don't get individual drops. Instead, you get something that looks like a continuous string. I often get a couple of separate strings pouring off the spoon.

Stirring constantly over high heat, add butter, 1 stick at a time.

Stirring constantly over high heat, add whole almonds. Continue stirring until you smell the roasted almonds. The mixture will take on a distinct brown color just before this and you'll feel the texture of the mixture changing.

Pour into pans in ice water. I try to stir the stuff while pouring; otherwise the almonds don't get distributed real evenly throughout the mix. Don't try to spread the stuff with a tool; just try to pour it evenly. Sugar behaves funny in this state and pushing it around will change the texture of the result. I've read that you shouldn't scrape out the contents of the pan either. The stuff that sticks is chemically different from the stuff that pours. I've not noticed that much sticks, so it isn't really a problem. Once the pans are cool enough that they aren't warm to the touch, I throw them into the freezer for 15 minutes.

Cover with half the chocolate and then half the chopped nuts. I press the nuts into the chocolate with the spoon that I used for spreading the nuts. Then back into the freezer for another 15 minutes and then cover other half with remaining chocolate and nuts.

Break into pieces and store in the freezer.

Half recipes work just fine, but take just about as much work as the full recipe.

THIS IS THE BESTEST ONE!!!!

iNGREDIENTS DIRECTIONS

1. Place the chocolate covered toffee bar and chocolate covered crispy peanut butter flavored candy bar in the freezer and let freeze 8 hours or overnight.

2. In a medium bowl, mix together the saltine crackers, graham crackers, and melted butter. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan to make a crust. Chill crust in the refrigerator while you make the filling.

3. In a large bowl, beat together the instant vanilla pudding mix, instant chocolate pudding mix, and milk. Fold in 12 ounces frozen whipped topping. Spread the filling over the prepared crust. Cover the filling with the remaining frozen whipped topping.

4. Crush the frozen chocolate covered toffee bar and chocolate-covered crispy peanut butter flavored candy bar. Sprinkle the dessert with the crushed candy bars. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

* 1 (1.4 ounce) bar chocolate covered toffee

* 1 (1.6 ounce) bar chocolate covered crispy peanut butter flavored candy

* 1 cup crushed saltine crackers

* 2 cups crushed graham crackers

* 1/2 cup butter, melted

* 1 (5.1 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix

* 1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix

* 2 cups milk

* 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

* 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed

TOFFEE CANDY

1/2 c. chopped walnuts

3/4 c. brown sugar

1/2 c. butter

6 oz. pkg. chocolate chips

Line 8"x8" pan with nuts. Boil sugar and butter for 7 minutes. Spread mixture over nuts. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Put in oven and heat until chips have melted. Spread with knife. When cool, break into pieces.

Source(s): cooks.com