Vinny
Vinny asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Ammunition is classified in various ways?

So for handguns and revolvers, whats the difference between ACP ammo, calibur ammo, NATO ammo, etc...?

And for shotguns, how would you classify a shell? I heard of bore, gauge, etc...?

What about assault rifle/SMG clips? Do they classify the clip with the ammunition inside or the size of the clip itself?

Favorite Answer

You've got to remember, all this stuff happened over the years, but there's no plan to any of it. Everything means something, but it's not part of any overall plan. ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol. It's ammo the early Colt automatics used. NATO ammo is any ammo used by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Our standard rifle, the M-16, uses .223 Remmington ammo, which is also called .223 NATO. Shotguns are something else. Bore is the diameter of the barrel. Guage referred to how many pieces of shot it took to make a pound. As for "assault rifle and SMG clips" they're made to accomodate whatever ammo the rifle/SMG they fit uses. Usually they have 30 rounds, but they can be larger, and if belt-fed, essentially limitless.

I'm not a handgun expert, by any means. I know my .45 fires .45 ACP, and I think ACP just designates a specific type of .45 ammo, as opposed to GAP, etc. The caliber is the diameter of the bullet. I.e. a .45, .40, .38 are all rounds in standard measurements based on inches. A .45 is 0.45 of an inch. 9mm, 10mm are metrics and usually of European origin. If you hear if someone referencing a round, i.e. .40 S&W that recognizes the company that developed the round and differentiates it from other .40s that may be out there because although the bullet may be the same caliber, the shape and power of the cartridge may be vastly different. NATO Ammo isn't so much of a special ammo as an agreement between NATO member nations to attempt to standardize their ammo to simplify logistics in the event of a European War. Most member nations use 5.56 rifle (.223) and a 9mm pistol. The same 5.56 is used in light machine guns and squad automatic weapons usually. There is a 7.62 for medium machine guns (note that this is different and more powerful than the AK-47s 7.62) and then 12.7mm is the official NATO designation for the heavy machine gun round... we just call it the .50 cal.

I know even less than that about shot guns. I know the guage of the ammo refers to the buckshot... the smaller the number the bigger the shot. As far as what makes a 12 guage shot gun a 12 guage, I would guess the same explanation applies, but I don't know.

I don't understand your assault rifle magazine questions. Most Infantry rifles have a capacity of around 30 rounds. There is a lot of room for customization or variation in this. Pistols generally are in the 7-15 round magazine range, but again, there are notable exceptions.