Cobra Guppy asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

The Big Three - Wal-Mart - Petco - Petsmart - Which one do you favor?

Which of these major chains do your prefer to go to buy your fish. Do not respond if you buy online, or buy elsewhere.

Wal-Mart, Petco, & Petsmart.

Personally, I go to Wal-Mart for Ghost Shrimp, Petco for Silvertips, and Petsmart for Guppies.

You?

Dark Ryok: " Petsmart has a better fish selection, but Petco generally takes better care of them."

That's exactly what I think! Petsmart has more fish, but Petco always has their tanks spotless and in great condition. I suppose it's that way because there's like 5:1 Petsmarts to Petcos.

Votes:

Petsmart: 5

Petco: 4

Wal-Mart: 0

Votes:

Petsmart: 6

Petco: 4

Wal-Mart: 1

Votes:

Petsmart: 7

Petco: 4

Wal-Mart: 1

Votes:

Petsmart: 8

Petco: 6

Wal-Mart: 1

Votes:

Petsmart: 9

Petco: 7

Wal-Mart: 1

Favorite Answer

It depends on how much the employees know at each individual store. Walmart doesn't have pet specialists so I avoid them no matter what. Between Petco and Petsmart, it depends on the individual store, in one town the local Petsmart might have more knowledgeable staff, while in another town Petco might be better. Personally I stick to the small mom and pop stores, they always seem to actually care for the well being of the animals they have.

• Ryan B

No way do i ever get fish from walmart. They hardly ever have a person working in that dept. Last time I went there I had to find a piece of paper and marker and wrote, Please change this water, it's killing the fish. I attached that to a betta cup. I like Petco and Petsmart. The closest Petsmart has way more tanks and fish then petco, I see dead fish in both Petco/smart but usually I buy from them(co) cause they are only 10 miles away from me and Petsmart is about 20.

Its a toss up between Petco and Petsmart. Petsmart has a better fish selection, but Petco generally takes better care of them. Petsmart has LOADS of bettas though, and I love my bettas.

I only go to walmart sometimes because I usually get off work after the other two have closed. The one around me might as well throw their fish in a mop bucket, because it wouldnt be any worse than the tank that they are in right now.

• TM

Whenever I go to Petco I can never get anyone to help me. It's absolutely ridiculous and if I have them send somebody over they have a huge attitude. The Petsmart at near me stocks way more stuff for fish care and way more fish. They also always have people managing the fish and they're actually nice!

Walmart has 3 fish and they all look pitiful...

I go to walmart for their warranty(90 days)

I go to petsmart for their wide variety.

I go to petco for saltwater stuff and fish that are on sale.

I also go to superpetz due to really good sales that they have like buy one get one free and other things.

But if I had to pick my favorite it would be.....petsmart.

Also the walmart I go to the manager for the fish is the old manager for the petsmart before he retired. So the fish their are actually taken much better care of then anywhere near by. The tanks their are spotless compared to petsmart and petco also they have a very nice variety of fish now for a cheap price. So actually I pick walmart.

Source(s): Me.

Petco all the way. I like petco because they take so much better care for their animals then the other two. Sure, petsmart has more stuff but I guess that the price to pay for quality. I go to petco for the pets and petsmart for the other stuff.

Source(s): I have so many pets and I sell my baby betta to petco and (sometimes)petsmart for store credits.
  • it depends. i rarely buy there, seeing as how i work at another competator, as well as buying online.

BUT, if i happen to see a particular fish, i may or may not get it there. i saw an awesome jack at walmart, i bought him. the rest looked awful, like typical walmart fish.

i've been told some really stupid sh*t at petsmart, several petsmarts infact, so i try to not go there.

petco is touch and go, i have purchased there before.

many mom and pop shops have nice fish selections, especially in my area.

petsupermarket has a decent selection too.

Petsmart, but I am biased because I work there.

I shop my own store because I know the fish and other animals are properly taken care of, and the prices are reasonable...especially with an associate discount.

The Petco in my area is what you could call "sketchy".

The Wal-Mart around here hasn't sold fish in years.

~On a weird side-note, all of the local shops that actually specialize in aquatics in my area have horribly maintained tanks, and unhealthy fish.

Petsmart! The petco and walmart in my area are fish grave yards it makes me depressed to even go in there,

petsmart for all fish but schooling fish

petco for all schooling fish

petco is so cruel to their fish here, especially the goldfish. They don't take care of the goldfish. The orandas I see there are sickly and they leave the dead ones in for hours on end.

Petsmart the minute you tell them about a sick, injured, dead, stressed fish they get right to it. Itis cruel sometimes though because they stuff probably close to 500 goldfish in one 20gal tank.