Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

Do you hate capitalism?

...if so, which of these greedy, money grabbing, opportunistic pigs do you hate most?

1. Clarence Otis, Jr., CEO - Darden Restaurants (Fortune 500 co.)

2. Kenneth Chenault, CEO - American Express (Fortune 500 co.)

3. Richard Parson, CEO Citi Group (Fortune 500 co.)

4. Ronald A. Williams, CEO Aetna, Inc. (Fortune 500 co.)

1. Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis Colts

2. Leonard Davis, Dallas Cowboys

3. Gaines Adams, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

4. Reggie Bush, New Orleans Saints

Let me explain; The top group all work for Fortune 500 companies. They manage huge assets and work to create success which in turn creates jobs for folks like you and me thereby keeping our economy going. Their success also pays for expensive government programs not only through the taxes they as individuals pay, but through the taxes paid by the people for whom they create jobs.

The bottom group plays for various NFL teams and their combined annual base salary ($75 million) exceeds the base annual salary of the top group ($56 million).

Now, which group really contributes more to our society in terms of the economy and the financial well being of our nation? ...and if you really hate big business I would appreciate your point of view as to exactly why. On the other hand if you're just envious you can be honest about it - I won't tell. But, if you do hate big business because of the enormous wealth their CEO's earn, how can you give a pass to a football player who makes even more?

If you really do hate big business I'd like to hear your reasons.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Every person mentioned above happens to be black. I should also mention that I root for both groups!! (unless some in the latter group are playing the Cowboys).

Ref. to "greedy, money grabbing pigs.." is sarcastically intended.

out2lunc; I'll be dam*ed. I list all blacks and I'm suspected of being racist. Had I listed all whites I would be suspected as being racist. It's a relatively meaningless term so suspect what you will - good answer otherwise.

Matthew W; You understand exactly how it works!

• L.T.M.
    Favorite Answer

It's very important to single out the real villains. Corruption and dishonesty. Jess's answer covered most of the bases. What we have going on today is a lot of corruption which results in the entire capitalist system being painted with the same brush. Then you have dishonest politicians who love to play on this and promote class warfare to increase their power. Then the intellectually lazy citizen will latch on to this as an easy excuse for their own problems. Capitalism is just like any tool. It can be put to good use or it can be abused. The greatest strength of capitalism is that it promotes self sufficiency and self motivation. It allows the individual to strive for something better. Socialism on the other hand is just a sneakier form of slavery. Collectivism works great for ants. We're not ants.

edit..[from badguy] "Hate more the ones who use to have the heart on left but the wallet on right!" ( very good, I like that saying )

The idea of capitalism is a good one. However for capitalism to work, there has got to be good regulations and oversight.....there also has to be a societal sense of fair play and economic morality. Capitalism does not mean what some want us to believe..that it should be a sort of law of the jungle economic survival of the fittest.

Its like having a football game with no rules and no code of sportsmanlike and unsportsmanlike conduct.

Most people do not know this, but the so called father of capitalism, Adam Smith advocated capitalism and the free market but he also warned about the things he felt could go wrong with capitalism. He warned that the rich would try to avoid paying taxes but he said they in fact should be progressively higher taxes for they benefit most from society. Thats right, the father of capitalism wanted a very progressive income tax system (such as the one the USA has had most of the time since 1913 when the top income tax rates for the rich has been at 70% or higher..even as high as 94%). He warned against monopolies. He warned against big business and the wealthy controlling govt and having undue influence on laws and policies which would actually work against capitalism. He advocated a publicly funded education system to have an informed and educated work force and citizenry. Basically Adam Smith was in favor of capitalism but he understood human nature and knew that given the total freedom to do as they please the rich and powerful would basically corrupt the system to benefit themseves.

So, while capitalism is the best economic system....excessive abuse of capitalism that some claim is captitalism is not capitalism and is the type of behavior that actually disrupts the invisible hand that makes everything move smoothly.

• canam

Truth be known, if it were not for the top 4 ceos there would be no bottom 4. Does anyone believe in a socialistic society, sports figures would be making what they do. They make big money because of the fans and endorsements. If the fans do not have the money to support these teams and buy the goods they endorse, then they would not be in a position to be paid millions. Funny, with our economy as bad as the politicians would have us believe, who is supporting these sports?

Did out2lunch actually just call Tom a racist while referring to African Americans as Negroes?

nah...that can't be right.

BTW....No I don't hate capitalism. Just because the public pisses away so much money on pro sports (they're stupid) or that big business and many CEO's are greedy and/or corrupt....and race has nothing to do with any of it. That's just the way people are. I wish I could get my hands on a few million...legally.

Negroes....ha ha...what a putz

I don't hate capitalism myself! I am a fan of football as well, especially when it comes to the San Diego Chargers (By the way, I am happy that the Steelers won so that way I know that my Chargers did not lose to a bunch of chumps. . . ) But anyways (my thumbs downs will probably be from either Raider fans, or extreme socialist-AKA liberals!) Now, without capitalism, no country can survive. Capitalism is very important for the country's infrastructure! Without capitalism, where would we get the clout to not only export goods, but also to import goods as well? Capitlaism is what pays for everything! Capitalism can keep everything running as long as the liberals leave it alone!

Source(s): 2010 let's make Fort Knox liberal proof!

Capitalism is the greatest idea of all time,

The more one works, the greater the world becomes...

If I decide to spend money on something, that company grows and they can hire more people, or they will simply pay their people more, and they will spend it on companies and the process continues. As companies battle, jobs are gained and lost on both sides, but initiative, and progress are made. Everyone Wins! (the whole story of... if you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, if you teach a man to fish, he will eat for eternity type deal. Jobs are required for man, not welfare)

The fact that ANY of the people mentioned are N'egro is totally irrelevant and your mentioning it shows you may be racist. That having been said, capitalism has never been given a real chance to work. From what I have seen and heard, it appears to be the most intelligent economic system available. It allows those who are willing to work to profit from their labors while those too lazy to work are left with what they earn - NOTHING! I have nothing against "big business" but personally prefer to work for small companies. It's harder to become "just a worker bee in the hive".

1) it's not exactly that I hate capitalism it is just that capitalism qua capitalism produces hugely skewed disproportions of economic gain.

2) it is not a personal thing. But I feel more for Bill Gates whose abilities actually created and drove Microsoft than for the CEO of GM who did nothing to create or build the corporation, who NEVER got his hands dirty, or his back torn up working on the assembly line.

3) But even so, What gives them the right to charge the workers 60% of the value their labor adds to the value of the raw materials they use as "quit rent"?

4) as far as contribution to"society," I rank them all at about Zero. And concede that they contribute minimally to the productive effort of our "economy" which is not the same thing. At least their effort as far as actual production of the goods and services comes out of te sweat of their brow. They all readily admit that their remuneration is not based on the merit of what they actually "do."

Tom you recall me the sentences of communist yelling always again her the 100 families who belong 90% of the economy.

Hate more the ones who use to have the heart on left but the wallet on right!

When we talk about famous socialists we use to say :il a le coeur à gauche mais le porte feuille à droite.

If trouble you find easy the meaning......

Hating "greedy, money grabbing, opportunistic pigs" doesn't mean that you have to hate Capitalism.