Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Does the soul survive after death?

I forever watch paranormal television but can never make up my mind. people claim to have seen ghosts, or even pick one up on the motorway! Mediums claims to contact the dead; yet I have seen no evidence despite going to seances. Can someone convince me based on their experiences or is it all fraud?

madamjes I asked for proof not emotional statements of faith!

Favorite Answer

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DIE ?

Jesus said: “ . . . saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.” [Revelation 17-18]

What is Death ? – Death is a return to the ground:

“In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.” [Genesis 3:19]

“Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.” [Ecclesiastes 12.7]

When everyone is born God supplied the 'breath of life' and he becomes a living soul.

“And the LORD God . . . breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. “ [Genesis 2:7]

Note: man IS a soul, man does not posses a soul

At death, when a man's breath goes forth, he dies - his being, his "soul" perishes. only a living man is a living soul.! Dead is dead. There is no "soul" that goes out of the body to live elsewhere! No "soul" goes immediately to heaven or hell. Dead is dead!

“For as the body without the spirit is dead, . .” [James2.26]

The Sleep of Death.

At death the body returns to dust and the life force (not the soul) to the creator

“ . . . but the dead know not any thing, .” [Ecclesiastes 9.5]

“His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.” [Psalm 146.4]

Lazarus was dead four days, yet he gave no report of any “life after death” experience. (refer John 11.39)

The Bible uses “sleep” as a figure of speech for death.

Jesus said: “. . . Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; . . “ [John 11.11]

David prayed “Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;” [Psalm 13.3]

“And they stoned Stephen, . . . Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.“ [Acts 7.59-60]

“. . . the fathers fell asleep, . . “ [2 Peter 3.4]

“And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: “ [Hebrews 9:27]

The Hope of Resurrection – “Awake and Sing”

Death is NOT the end. There is hope. As there is a falling asleep, there is a waking up.

“Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: . . .” [Isaiah 26.19]

“ . . . them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake . . . “ [Daniel 12.2]

The next event that everyone will experience will be the resurrection, as John says, to face the results of his judgment.

“And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation. “ [John 5:29]

Jesus said: “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:” [John 11.25]

What does it mean to “believe in Jesus”? –

To believe that He is the ONLY source of resurrection life; that He paid the penalty for all of our sins when He dies on the cross and by His resurrection made possible our resurrection to eternal life; then by prayer we can invite Jesus into our lives and experience His resurrection power for daily living.

The best way you can prepare for death is to get to know Jesus right now by prayer and Bible reading. You could pray this prayer right now –

Father God in heaven, I am a sinner and I need your forgiveness; I believe that Jesus died for my sins; I want to turn from my sins; I invite Jesus into my heart and life. I want to trust Jesus as my Saviour, and to follow you as my Lord in the company of your Church; Lord please accept my prayer in the name of Your Son, Jesus, Amen.

May God bless you as you study His Word

<:)))><

Source(s): King James Bible

According to Islamic teachings the Soul is a Mystery of God and does not die but it goes into a third dimension until it is time for the judgment day, when all bodies are resurrected in a certain manner and the soul will get back into the body for judgment.

While the souls are in the 3rd Dimension they see us we do not see them, but there is no way of contact except in dreams (though demons may interfere to fool people) but all this whether the real spirit or an impostor appear it is only if GOD permits for a wisdom.

Any simulations of seeing the dead while awake are the works of the hidden (evil Jinns) demons/devils. And usually done by impostor to get money even though they may make you feel that something is happening.

Demons know your departed dears so they may give information to make people think that they are the spirits communicating, as mentioned while awake, only demons presence is certain, and for the inexperienced this is very dangerous and results are uncertain.

But in dreams there are signs to let you guess whether it is the real spirit or an impostor demon spirit is communicating.

• Mr.K

The first book of the Bible,Genesis 2:7 tells us that God did two things:

1.He formed the man Adam from the dust of the ground.

2.He breathed into his nostrils the breath of life.

Then what happened? The man came to be a living soul.Adam wasn't given a soul.Adam himself was the soul.The Hebrew and Greek words for soul Ne'phesh and Psy'che mean a living creature or the life of a living creature.When Adam died and went back to the dust as God told him he would,the soul died too.No part of Adam lived on.The soul surviving death is false teaching.Matthew 10:28 tells us that God destroys the wicked body and soul in Gehenna,a symbolic place meaning eternal death.

Source(s): The Holy Bible and Insight on the Scriptures published by Jehovahs's Witnesses.
  • Umie

The spirit world abides in another so called energy frequency.Another dimension if you like.

Science too teaches us some colours can't be seen because they are of another frequency not conducive to our sight.There is more to life than meets our eyes or ears,or any of our senses. Intuitive mind or inner self carries us beyond the material idea's of science.We are more than form & shape & touch.We too are Spirits doing our time in physical dimensions.Our Soul is forever , which is our inner Being .It is not physical but sits in the physical. It is like this , is my expression-You are the true mind that began the human mind before the mind began this journey on earth.I believe our soul survives after death and was with us before birth .I don't think anyone can give you proof but i speak what i have come to understand.My thoughts are real and not emotional and all i can do is share them with you.Resistance can leave us miserable and unsatisfied with the wall we create while an open mind can leave us room to understand,and come to realize more than we every dreamed ,do you agree?

Source(s): Intuitive

I don’t believe in all of this so called paranormal television junk today. I do though believe that the soul does live on after the death of the body.

The word "soul" has various meanings in Scripture. Sometimes it refers to the whole man (Ge. 2:7). Often, though, it refers to a conscious, immaterial part of man which exists beyond death apart from the body. Bible words must be defined by the context in which they are found, since almost all Bible words have various usages and definitions in different contexts. This is true with words in normal language usage in or out of the Bible.

Old Testament examples of the soul as an immaterial, conscious part of the man are seen in Ge. 35:18 and 1 Ki. 17:21-22. In Ge. 35 the death of Rachel is recorded and we learn that her soul departed when she died. "... as her soul was in departing, (for she died)..." In 1 Ki. 17 it is recorded that a young boy died and was raised again through Elijah's ministry. The Bible plainly says his soul departed and returned again to him: "... O Lord my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again. And the Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived" (1 Ki. 17:21,22). Obviously the prophet Elijah did not have the same idea about the soul and death as some cults do.

In the New Testament, the word "soul" is also used to describe a spiritual part of man distinct from his body. "... I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Th. 5:23). Here we are told that man has three parts. Paul did not say man IS a soul; he says man HAS a soul.

The Bible says, "It is appointed on the men once to die and after this the judgment." Yes according to my faith in God and the Bible the soul survives after death, but goes on to one of two places, Heaven or Hell. According to the Bible all who put their faith and trust in Christ and him alone for salvation from sin and death will go to Heaven, everyone else will go to Hell. According to the parable of the rich man and the poor man spoken of by Jesus it is not possible for the dead to speak to the living.

According to my belief I would conclude that ghosts and people being able to contact the dead is fraudulent. Although I wouldn't say that all paranormal activity is fraudulent. My belief in God also comes along with my belief in Satan and would equate paranormal activity with Satanic influence and the occult. Can we tell which is fraudulent and which is not? Not always, but why dabble. Those who play with fire will get burned.

Most mediums are a fraud. There are a few I think that do have the ability to connect on a higher level with those who have passed over. Two that I think might have this gift are John Edwards and Lisa Williams. Having said that, Christ said that we are not to attempt to reach spirits and the occult. Demons are real as is the need for exorcisms, which is practiced by the Catholic Church. So I would be very careful with this practice. God Bless...

The Bible teaches that when you die you cease to exist. Our only chance is in a future resurrection.

Ecclesiastes 9:5

For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all...

2 Timothy 2:18

These very [men] have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred...

Source(s): I had a free Bible study with the Jehovah’s Witnesses, and regularly use their website at www.watchtower.org

The soul of the individual that has accepted the Lord.....will reign with Jesus for eternity. The soul that has sin will go into eternal death....which is the abyss.

The Spiritual world exists but souls of dead people can go to various places after death. However if you believe in Christ and you don't die in mortal sin you'll go to Heaven and then you won't be a ghost for the use of tv programs and mediums.