Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsAuto RacingNASCAR · 1 decade ago

Who was better Nascar Nation, Richard Petty or Dale Earnhardt?

I am just starting to get into Nascar racing and I want to know how is better? I know they call Richard Petty the king but most people think Earnhardt is better.

Favorite Answer

Richards 200 wins are impressive until you look at the facts..

The only team in NASCAR to ever have "team orders" was the Petty team..

Just look at how many races Buddy Backer finished second to Richard, and James Hilton as well, and you begin to understand that Lee Petty made it clear to each of Richard's teammates that they cannot pass Richard, especially for the lead.. Baker, and Richard actually accumulated the most one, two team finishes for a season in NASCAR history...

I've always said though, Richard Petty built the stands... But it was Dale Earnhardt that filled them..

I am not going to say Dale Earnhardt just to get a plus on this one. I am going to say that Richard Petty was the best driver, followed by Jeff Gordon, then Dale Earnhardt. The question was not about whether or not you liked the guys personality or liked the guy, it is can they drive? Richard proved that he could wheel a race car. 200 wins is enough said! Jeff Gordon has won on nearly every track (Texas, Phoenix, Homestead only ones he hasn't) and has 75 total wins. The thing that I look back to is 1998 Gordon had 13 wins and an average finish of 5.7. That is nearly unheard of in this generation of drivers. No one will win 13 races again. Earnhardt had quite a career, I mean 7 titles, that is just crazy to think about. Earnhardt won at a lot tracks, but most of his wins came at short tracks or restrictor plate racing. Can't deny his talent at all, he is a top three all time for sure.

Not true. Different generations. The King won 200 races, when NASCAR would race on dirt as well as pavement. Earnhardt had more exposure in his career due to TV.

Earnhardt for sure. Petty was great as well, but in his era, he raced against inferior competition. Back in those days, they didn't race against the same teams every week. They would race 75+ times a year, at State Fairs, local dirt tracks and things like that, and all those counted towards his win and championship totals. Earnhardt raced against top competition every week, every year on a much tougher schedule. Just like in today's era...with the new rules, new more equal cars, tighter level of competition, etc...this era will prove to be tougher then the era Earnhardt raced in. So those that can dominate in this era could/should be considered the best ever.

I like Earnhardt better but you can't put 200 wins aside, most of which were won in a "cleaner fashion."

Richard Petty in my opinion

I'm more inclined toward Richard Petty, but that's just me.

I like Petty better because he didn't have to cry like a baby or blame the "awful racing" every time he didn't win. Dale SR really got on my nerves

pearson or yarborough, in my not so humble opinion. if i have to choose between the two you named, i'd have to go with the intimidator.

great question with no easy answer. All three are "KINGS" in my book.