Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Malcolm X.................?

During the end of his life, did Malcolm X change his mind and decide that both white and black were equal? (i watched a film about it but i cant remember if he changed his beliefs)

Also, why was he killed? I forgot. :[

Thanks.

Sorry! i forgot to choose best answer!!

Sorry.

Favorite Answer

During the end of his life, did Malcolm X change his mind and decide that both white and black were equal? I think he was more conciliatory,more flexible to the civil rights movement and more friendly to some white peoples See below Also, why was he killed? I think some members of Nation of Islam were jealous of his popularity,his charisma.This is my conclusion from what I saw from the movie ////////// leadership Allegations of conspiracy

Within days of the assassination, questions were raised about who bore ultimate responsibility. On February 23, James Farmer, the leader of the Congress of Racial Equality, announced at a news conference that local drug dealers, and not the Black Muslims, were to blame.[148] Others accused the New York Police Department, the FBI, or the CIA, citing the lack of police protection and the ease with which the assassins had entered the Audubon Ballroom.[149]

In the 1970s, the public learned about COINTELPRO and other secret FBI programs directed towards infiltrating and disrupting civil rights organizations during the 1950s and 1960s.[150] John Ali, national secretary of the Nation of Islam, was identified as an FBI undercover agent.[151] Malcolm X had confided in a reporter that Ali had exacerbated tensions between him and Elijah Muhammad. He considered Ali his "archenemy" within the Nation of Islam leadership.[151] On February 20, 1965, the night before the assassination, Ali met with Talmadge Hayer, one of the men convicted of killing Malcolm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_X#Death //////////// Malcolm X at a 1964 press conferenceAfter he left the Nation of Islam, Malcolm X began to articulate his own views. During the final year of his life, his philosophy was flexible, and it is difficult to categorize his views on some subjects. Some of the themes to which Malcolm X frequently returned in his speeches demonstrate a relative consistency of thought.[181]

After leaving the Nation of Islam, Malcolm X announced his willingness to work with leaders of the civil rights movement.[78] However, he felt that the civil rights movement should change its focus to human rights. So long as the movement remained a fight for civil rights, its struggle remained a domestic issue. By framing the African American struggle for equal rights as a fight for human rights, it would become an international issue and the movement could bring its complaint before the United Nations. Malcolm X said the emerging nations of the world would add their support to the cause of African Americans.[182]

Malcolm X continued to hold the view that African-Americans were right to defend themselves from aggressors, arguing that if the government was unwilling or unable to protect black people, they should protect themselves "by whatever means necessary".[183] He also continued to reject nonviolence as the only means for securing equality, declaring that he and the other members of the Organization of Afro-American Unity were determined to win freedom, justice, and equality "by any means necessary".[184] Although he no longer called for the separation of black people from white people, Malcolm X continued to advocate black nationalism, which he defined as self-determination for the African American community.[187] In the last months of his life, however, Malcolm X began to reconsider his support of black nationalism after meeting northern African revolutionaries who, to all appearances, were white.[188]

After his Hajj, Malcolm X articulated a view of white people and racism that represented a deep change from the philosophy he articulated as a minister of the Nation of Islam. In a famous letter from Mecca, he wrote that the white people he had met during his pilgrimage had forced him to "rearrange" his thinking about race and "toss aside some of [his] previous conclusions".[189] In a 1965 conversation with Gordon Parks, two days before his assassination, Malcolm said:

[L]istening to leaders like Nasser, Ben Bella, and Nkrumah awakened me to the dangers of racism. I realized racism isn't just a black and white problem. It's brought bloodbaths to about every nation on earth at one time or another.

Brother, remember the time that white college girl came into the restaurant—the one who wanted to help the [Black] Muslims and the whites get together—and I told her there wasn't a ghost of a chance and she went away crying? Well, I've lived to regret that incident. In many parts of the African continent I saw white students helping black people. Something like this kills a lot of argument. I did many things as a [Black] Muslim that I'm sorry for now. I was a zombie then—like all [Black] Muslims—I was hypnotized, pointed in a certain direction and told to march. Well, I guess a man's entitled to make a fool of himself if he's ready to pay the cost. It cost me 12 years. That was a bad scene, brother. The sickness and madness of those days—I'm glad to be free of them.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma

I agree with some of that. At its inception, capitalism was revolutionary and could have been described to be 'like an eagle'. It was revolutionary inasmuch as it brushed aside the moribund and restrictive influence of feudal absolutism, and embarked upon a scientific crusade of discovery. In this respect it was revolutionary. It became reactionary very soon afterwards, however, as the progress that was made in the fields of industrial and agricultural production were not used to improve the lot of everyone but merely to feather the nests of the privileged few who had the wealth to invest in the new enterprises. Workers created the profits but were/are denied access to the true value of their labour. Regarding the collapse of capitalism, of course, the system is very unstable and fraught with contradictions. If the system collapses, what do we replace it with? Of course, it's the historic task of the proletariat to create a new society...a society that is able to harness technology for the benefit of all people throughout the world. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that workers will step into the breach. When Rosa Luxemburg said that we face a choice between socialism or barbarism it could be interpreted in two ways. Firstly, we on the left view the defeat of the German Revolution and the subsequent victory of fascism as barbarism. At the same time we can also view her words as a dire warning of near total destruction of the technologies we've come to rely on, and a return to earlier forms of social organisation such as feudalism. Malcolm X developed an excellent analysis and critique of capitalism and my guess is that, over time, he would have moved over to the cause of socialism!

Yes, he embraced Islam (the real one, not the "Nation of Islam") after he made the Hajj, the pilgrimage to Mecca. At Hajj, he saw millions of people of all races congregating together, wearing the same unit of clothing (called ihram). From this he realized that blacks and whites and everyone else was equal in the eyes of Allah SWT. Subsequently, he toured Africa and returned to America. Because he began teaching genuine Islam upon his return, he was assassinated on the orders of Elijah Muhammad, the false prophet and leader of the "Nation of Islam", who through the introduction of genuine Islam stood to lose everything in his race-baiting racket. Ironically, Elijah Muhammad himself died anyway about a year or two later.

• no

He still believed that Blacks were superior to whites, and he didn't like the white race, but he no longer believed that all whites were devils as was taught by the Black Moslem church.

He was killed because he started telling about transgressions within the Black Moslem Church such as the illegitimate children being spread around by the leaders of that organization. They also wanted to have him killed because he actually stated that not all white people were devils (if they became Moslems).

He likely believed that blacks should be equal to whites, or that they should be above whites.

He was assassinated by the Nation of Islam after he ticked them off. I don't know specifics though, only because I didn't study his life that much.