How many Microsoft Word pages would an average-length novel be equivalent to?

I am asking this question purely out of my own curiosity. Please refrain from giving me answers such as, "Oh, do not worry about how long it would be. Write your book just as long as it needs to be to effectively tell the story." I am quite aware of this, and I am just curious, not apprehensive about my own writings' lengths.

Thanks in advance. :))

• Best Answer

If you write one page in 12 point Times New Roman font, that's about 500 words. A typical novel is between 50,000 and 100,000 words. So that's between 100-200 microsoft word pages.

• jewel6 years agoReport

250 words is equivalent to a page in 12 point Times New Roman.

Average Length Of A Novel

Average Book Length

Your typical manuscript requirements are COURIER NEW, size 12 font, double spaced. This sort of font is easy to read and doesn't strain the eyes. Word count for a novel is 50,000 to 100,000 words as was stated above so it's definitely going to be more than 200 pages. I have one manuscript I'm working on now which is at page 81, but it's only 16,810 words. I have another manuscript which is 271 pages, with more to go but 63,980 words. Page number is irrelevant, like others have told you, but only because the word count is what they look at. Your future book will be published in many different shapes and sizes throughout the years.

Apparently the normal length of a modern novel is between 40,000 and 80,000 words which actually sounds pretty short to me, but then again, they don't write them like they used to. My novel has been edited down to 84,000 words and takes up 200 pages on Word so, I reckon 50 would be a bit short. However, one has to ask - why the frack are you worrying about the length when you haven't written the bloody thing yet? Novels take off by themselves and either end up coming up short or (like mine did originally) getting far too long. Just let it happen and stop being so male!!

The best way to find that out is by using Microsoft Word. The other day I found a botton on the bottom left corner, under the line seperator and around above the start botton. It has a page like a print out page, a page with dots, like bullet pionts, then the one on the right has two pages. It means like a book you click on it and it shows you how many novel book pages you have writen. Usuallt writen on the top: 1 of 99 or something like that. Sorry I don't know the number nor anything. =( but hope this helps.

• jimmy

For a normal paperback page size, two pages can fit on a piece of A4 size paper page, with space for illustrations, etc. (Imagine pasting the pages on a sheet of A4 paper). An average lengtth novel in paperback would be some 350-400 pages , so you require 175 to 200 pages of A4 size paper pages (1 sheet = 2 pages, front and back,so you need 88 to 100 sheets of A4 size paper) ... Of course, it depends on what font you use, and at what size ....

They're actually usually counted in words, not pages. A novel might be 80,000 words, or 100,000, or even 300,000. If you go to Tools > Word Count, the program will tell you how many words you have, or how many are in a highlighted section.

A standard manuscript page is double-spaced, and equals about 250 words. Thus, a 100,000 word book is 400 manuscript pages.

If you go to the library and look in the 808's, you'll find many books on the subject of writing, that will have a lot of useful information.

http://www.bkedits.com

If you're writing using Word, go to Tools and hit Word Count.

Novels are generally considered to be between 60,000 and 110,000 words. So average will be around 85,000 words. Nobody works in pages - it's far too dependent on what size font and margins you use.

• well.....if we say an average lenght novel is 350 pages long

and one a4 page in size 9.5 is equivalent to two book pages (i got the page length from harry potter - its pretty standard, rite)

it would amount to 175 a4 pages in size 9.5 in times new roman

Source(s): reealy depends on the size of the page though