What Impact did Martin Luther have?

I have to write a 20 page persuassive paper on the impact of Martin Luther. If anyone knows anything let me know, please give sources, too.

P.S. Martin Luther, NOT Martin Luther King Jr.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Martin Luther (10 November 1483 – 18 February 1546) was a German monk,[1] theologian, university professor, Father of Protestantism,[2][3][4][5] and church reformer whose ideas influenced the Protestant Reformation and changed the course of Western civilization.[6]

Luther's theology challenged the authority of the papacy by holding that the Bible is the only infallible source of religious authority[7] and that all baptized Christians under Jesus are a universal priesthood.[8] According to Luther, salvation is a gift of God, received only by true repentance and faith in Jesus as the Messiah, a faith given by God and unmediated by the church.

At the Diet of Worms assembly over freedom of conscience in 1521, Luther's confrontation with the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and his refusal to submit to the authority of the Emperor resulted in his excommunication from the Roman Catholic Church and being declared an outlaw of the state as a consequence.

His translation of the Bible into the vernacular of the people made the Scriptures more accessible to them, and had a tremendous political impact on the church and on German culture. It furthered the development of a standard version of the German language, added several principles to the art of translation,[9] and influenced the translation of the English King James Bible.[10] His hymns inspired the development of congregational singing within Christianity.[11] His marriage to Katharina von Bora set a model for the practice of clerical marriage within Protestantism.[12]

Much scholarly debate has concentrated on Luther's writings about the Jews. His statements (from near the end of his life) that Jews' homes should be destroyed, their synagogues burned, money confiscated and liberty curtailed were revived and used in propaganda by the Nazis in 1933–45.[13] As a result of this and his revolutionary theological views, his legacy remains controversial.[14]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Martin Luther was born to peasant stock on November 10, 1483 in Eisleben in the Holy Roman Empire – in what is today eastern Germany. Soon after Luther’s birth, his family moved from Eisleben to Mansfeld. His father was a relatively successful miner and smelter and Mansfeld was a larger mining town. Martin was the second son born to Hans and Magarete (Lindemann) Luther. Two of his brothers died during outbreaks of the plague. One other brother, James, lived to adulthood.

Luther’s father knew that mining was a cyclical occupation, and he wanted more security for his promising young son. Hans Luther decided that he would do whatever was necessary to see that Martin could become a lawyer. Hans saw to it that Martin started school in Mansfeld probably around seven. The school stressed Latin and a bit of logic and rhetoric. When Martin was 14 he was sent to Magdeburg to continue his studies. He stayed only one year in Magdeburg and then enrolled in Latin school in Eisenach until 1501. In 1501 he enrolled in the University of Erfurt where he studied the basic course for a Master of Arts (grammar, logic, rhetoric, metaphysics, etc.). Significant to his spiritual and theological development was the principal role of William of Occam’s theology and metaphysics in Erfurt’s curriculum. In 1505, it seemed that Han’s Luther’s plans were about to finally be realized. His son was on the verge of becoming a lawyer. Han’s Luther’s plans were interrupted by a thunderstorm and vow.

In July of 1505, Martin was caught in a horrific thunderstorm. Afraid that he was going to die, he screamed out a vow, “Save me, St. Anna, and I shall become a monk.” St. Anna was the mother of the Virgin Mary and the patron saint of miners. Most argue that this commitment to become a monk could not have come out of thin air and instead represents an intensification experience in which an already formulated thought is expanded and deepened. On July 17th Luther entered the Augustinian Monastery at Erfurt.

The decision to enter the monastery was a difficult one. Martin knew that he would greatly disappoint his parents (which he did), but he also knew that one must keep a promise made to God. Beyond that, however, he also had strong internal reasons to join the monastery. Luther was haunted by insecurity about his salvation (he describes these insecurities in striking tones and calls them Anfectungen or Afflictions.) A monastery was the perfect place to find assurance.

Assurance evaded him however. He threw himself into the life of a monk with verve. It did not seem to help. Finally, his mentor told him to focus on Christ and him alone in his quest for assurance. Though his anxieties would plague him for still years to come, the seeds for his later assurance were laid in that conversation.

In 1510, Luther traveled as part of delegation from his monastery to Rome (he was not very

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Impact Of Martin Luther

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What Impact did Martin Luther have?

I have to write a 20 page persuassive paper on the impact of Martin Luther. If anyone knows anything let me know, please give sources, too.

P.S. Martin Luther, NOT Martin Luther King Jr.

Source(s): impact martin luther have: https://biturl.im/AZTZu
  • 1 decade ago

I would seek out and read, and it is a quick read, Roland Bainton's HERE I STAND. That is one book that every know who know the name of Martin Luther should read.

I could, of course, write the paper for you since I have studied Reformation History for 40 years, but that would be unfair to you and your teacher would see right through it because I use words that no one uses.

Check his views on the Eucharist. Know what "Sola Scriptura" means and how it related, understand the importance of the removal of the church rule against USERY and what that had to do with the rise of Capitalism. Those for a few.

Another quick book is called MARTIN LUTHER FOR THE ARM CHAIR THEOLOGIAN.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Luther opened the door for religious freedom.

• Rhonda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Martin Luther was the "father" of the Reformation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.