Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Did Rush Limbaugh ever apologize to Michael J. Fox for accusing him of faking Parkinson's symptoms?

I heard that Rush accused Michael J. Fox of exaggerating his Parkinson's Disease symptoms for political gain.

"He is exaggerating the effects of the disease," Limbaugh told listeners. "He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act. . . . This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting."

-- The Washington Post

He said that if it was proven that these types of behavior (hands shaking, poor balance, swaying) were proven to be normal effects of the disease and/or treatment, he would apologize to Fox.

Several experts have since then come forward and stated that this swaying is part of the process of adjusting the treatment for the disease, and is something very typically seen in Parkinson's patients.

Did Rush ever apologize for his offensive accusation?

Old Goat - Please link to the video you're referring to so I know what you're talking about

Old Goat - Please provide evidence from a reliable source (not right or left wing bloggers, or papers known to distort facts). Saying there's evidence to support your opinion and not providing it, is saying nothing at all.

Dallas -- you're wrong. How about YOU check it out for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyskinesia

Favorite Answer

Don't listen to rush limbaugh or Fox news. They spread hate.

The Parkinson's Reversing Breakthrough?

""He is exaggerating the effects of the disease," Limbaugh told listeners. "He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act. . . . This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting."

-- The Washington Post"

Rush turned out to be right. As it turned out, MJF purposely didnt take his medication before his appearance to the congressional committee in order that his tremors were visible..

No he didn't, and it was previously stated that when Fox appeared before Congress he was not on his meds. Of course Rush can't be bothered with details.

Taking meds for for the rest of your life isn't the answer, preventing disease in the first place is the answer. That was the point Fox wanted to make because the meds gradually lose their effect and what you see WILL happen to Fox given time.

To the person below ... how long will it be before your shots stop working?

RUSH SAID HE -THOUGHT- MJF DIDN'T TAKE HIS MEDICATIONS at that time SO THAT HIS SYMPTOMS WOULD SHOW UP MORE FOR THE CAMERAS. HE BASED THAT ON PREVIOUS APPEARANCES BY MJF WHICH HE NOTED DIDN'T SHOW MUCH OF ANY SYMPTOMS INCLUDING THE WALK ON THE CARPET TO THE MOVIE AWARDS JUST MONTHS BEFORE.

You actually took the Washington Post as a source for what Limbaugh said? The Washington Post seems to be taken out of context and still got THE CONCEPTION OF THE ISSUE wrong. I heard the actual quote and he said a lot about it in a lot of ways.

MJF DID CONTRIBUTE TO THE DEMOCRAT PARTY IN 2004 AND WASN'T INDEPENDENT AT THE TIME MAKING POLITICAL COMMENTS ABOUT A POLITICAL ISSUE. YOU CAN SEARCH FEC RECORDS AND PUBLIC RECORDS TO SEE.

This is a video (that is making fun of Rush through pictures) but listen to what he is saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4yK0JrHfAA

Youtube thumbnail

When you see MJF on television, he obviously has his Parkinson's under control. HOWEVER, and I can verify this since the ads Rush is talking about ran in my city during the campaign between Claire McCaskill and Jim Talent in 2004. MJF WAS, in fact, shaking all over the place in this ad. He was given a script to lie about Talent's stand on stem cell research.

Jim Talent is opposed to GOVERNMENT FUNDING of embryonic stem cell research. And Jim Talent is a good man who did a lot for the state of Missouri. Stupid cow McCaskill has done NOTHING except stump for Obama and get fatter. She doesn't care about people who are sick and in need. She allowed people to rot and be abused in the nursing homes she and her husband controlled.

As a person who suffers from a similar disease (MS) I know that my symptoms are controlled by medication. I have trouble walking at times, and it is very hard for me to get out of the bed in the morning. I feel like I am paralyzed. But once I take my shots, I am at least able to control myself a little better.

He shouldn't have to apologize for someone who was obviously putting on, or not taking his medication properly (conveniently) before that spot was put on here in St. Louis.

Drixnot, in re: To the person below ... how long will it be before your shots stop working?

DO YOU have Multiple Sclerosis? Do you have Parkinson's? Are you a freeking authority for EITHER disease? Don't piss me off now because I am normally a good natured person. The injections I take CONTROL my symptoms. They don't completely remove them. I've had the disease since I was 26 years old when they found FORTY FIVE lesions on my brain. The injections of Kopexil help me WALK. And it doesn't prevent ALL the symptoms. I still have headaches, I still have numbness in my lower limbs. I still get dizzy from time to time. I walk with a damn cane at 31 years old. THIRTY ONE.

If I DIDN'T TAKE my shots, I'd be flippin' out like Michael J. Fox was in that campaign ad. I know for a fact he couldn't have properly medicated himself before recording that spot.

You have anything else to say?

And embryonic stem cells have not proven to help these diseases, let alone cure them. The government shouldn't fund ANYTHING that has not been proven.

He wrote something on his website that sounded a little like an apology:

"All I'm saying is I've never seen him the way he appears in this commercial for Claire McCaskill," says Limbaugh. "So I will bigly, hugely admit that I was wrong, and I will apologize to Michael J. Fox, if I am wrong in characterizing his behavior on this commercial as an act, especially since people are telling me they have seen him this way on other interviews and in other television appearances."

Source(s): cbsnews.com
  • Rush never accused him of that. He said the media used MJF to promote a hidden agenda (that embryonic stem cells could cure people like him), and hinted that MJF was oblivious to what the media was doing.

I don't think Rush or anyone owes that little dweeb squat. M.J.Fox is not an American and as far as I'm concerned he should go back to Canada where he came from and let his great countries health care system take care of him instead is complaining to our Congress and bad mouthing America.

once again a libeal who took thiings out of context. LISTEN TO THE COMMENT FROM RUSH than issue your own apology. there is no need to use the Harry Reid model for the limbaugh smear here. your above that. the answer to your question is no as there was no need to.