Does belief in evolution destroy the Christian faith?

I only ask because of all these Evangelicals who act like evolution is the gravest insult against them. They act this way despite the fact that evolution (simply the belief that species change over time) has been PROVEN BEYOND ANY DOUBT. Just look at dogs. How do evangelicals look at chiwawas with full knowledge they they descended from wolves and continue to deny that species can not change over time?!?!?!?!

JESUS F'ING CHRIST.

And don't give me this "micro not macro" crap. There is no such distinction, and by the way, we have physically observed species evolve so far apart that they can no longer breed with each other, thus by definition creating two species.

So Evengelicals, what is it about your faith that makes evolution so hard to take? Would it literally destroy your world and society? I know that Catholics believe in evolution.

It wouldn't be so infuriating if I didn't know that a full understanding of evolutionary theory was absolutely vital to curing various diseases and virus which have a nasty habit of evolving around our medicines. "They mutate, not evolve!" you whine, without doing any research. Mutation and evolution are the exact same thing. EXACT. 100%. mutation means a species changing through generations, evolution means a species changing through generations. PERIOD.

Evengelicals with their anti-science beliefs stand in the way of the progress of the human species. This is a fact. They claim to want to cure people like Jesus, and yet they stand in the way of creating new medicines.

I could go on. For example, if it were up to Evangelicals we would stop studying the Earth for clues to environmental changes that occurred over millions of years, as the Earth is only a few thousand years old, right? And yet, by understanding the Earth we will be able to save thousands, if not millions of lives from natural disaster etc...

This is why I want to convert Evengelicals to my thinking, for the betterment of mankind, because their thinking is a detriment to it. So I am curious.

Why do Evengelicals reject science, especially evolution and a theory of an earth being older than 5,000 years?

By the way, I am someone who believes that the power of Jesus message was strong enough to stand even while considering that much of the bible could be interpreted as metaphor or poetry.

mithril:

Fair enough. I probably do alienate people with my language. I should stop being so vulgar.

Favorite Answer

Of course not. Truth cannot conflict with truth. Therefore the objective facts revealed by science cannot be in conflict with TRUE Christian beliefs. My Church has no problems with scientific findings because its teachings are true.

Source(s): Catholic deacon

I am a born again Christian and I believe in the evolutionary theory...but it does not detract from my faith in God as my creator. The Bible is remarkably similar to what science tells us happened. The biggest problem that most people have is the time element and the assumption that if someone believes in the theory it must mean that they do not believe in God. Because the Bible said day one, day two etc., they assume this must mean that these are 24 hour or 12 hour days. God is timeless, therefore I believe he COULD have done it in a millesecond if he had chosen to do so.

I believe that God is the designer of all that has come and all that will yet come. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that evolution is his plan in action....although I don't believe that every assumption made in the evolutionary theory is necessarily correct either. In fact, many of the things first stated by early supporters of the theory have since been proven false.

We know that mutation exists within species to create other species. I think that is an acceptable fact. My question has to be why, not how.

No. It's pretty obvious the human race has evolved. We may have been cruder and more primitive and brutal, but thinking we evolved from apes is pretty out there, too. I mean, c'mon, there wouldn't be any apes around now then, right? We're similar, like dogs are to wolves, but to claim they are the same creature would be inaccurate, too.

So, no, it doesn't destroy the Christian faith. Evolution neither opposes nor supports Christianity in general. We evolved from primitive homosapiens, not apes, gorillas or monkeys.

The numbers are an educated guess, though, not absolute. No one really will ever know for sure, because no one was around.

By the way, your use of "Jesus Effing Christ" is pretty sure to shut down any credibility you have to most Christians. Meet people where they are. Don't deliberately alienate them with crudity that is sure to offend them.

Not smart.

Ironically.

Edit: Creationism and the Big Bang theory are too eerily similar for even the scientists. But it's the most likely and accepted theory. The Big Bang theory actually supports creationism. That's a fact.

Here's what you have to believe if you are a CHRISTIAN who also ACCEPTS EVOLUTION

1. God creates human life on a planet, in a remote solar system in a galaxy that exists at the corner of the universe... that has seen over 90% of its species become extinct over a billion or so years of its existence?

2. God creates humans by means of evolution from hominids, where by the first humans appeared at least 100,000 years ago but were left to fight for their lives in a harsh environment of constant disease and predation, where the average life expectancy of a human would be approximately 25 years.

3. Having witnessed the brutality and struggle for 98,000 years, god then decides that he should intervene and help humans, by means of the ugliest, stupid, grotesque, savagery of a crucifixion of some Jewish person. And for this to take place in an illiterate barbaric part of Palestine?

I could go on..... but you should ALL get the picture.

• A1

No it doesn't. It just proves the Bible not being a history or science book. Look at the Bible this way, as a yearbook. It talks about the events that took place a long time ago, during a certain time period.

Guy I don't think you understand species. Yes they came from wolves but they are still dogs. Just like when little people have a better chance at producing little people. They aren't a different species...

I didn't read all of your question, I thought you proved the point from the get go.

Belief in evolution does not destroy the Christian faith and there are some notable Christians who accept the theory.

Also, evolution is not "proven." It is a theory that is the most probable one we have as of now.

Pope John Paul II said once and I don't recall his exact words but he said that it's not that evolution didn't or does not exist... it's just that God created everything and has domain over evolution as well...

• Yes it does.

1) It's unlikely that a loving, personal God (like Jesus) would have created various sub-species of humans, only to kill them off, when he simple could have created humans from mud?

2) If there was no Adam and Eve, there was no original sin, and consequently no need for a Christ?

Willful ignorance, and because of their willful ignorance, you're only going to get whining evangelicals telling you how blasphemous you are, or atheists and evolutionists such as myself agreeing.