I called in sick to work because I am sick with the flu and my job is demanding a doctor's note.?

I took a day off from work hoping to feel better and my job calls me in the middle of the day and says i can't come back unless i have a doctor's note. I only called off for that day and I have never heard this policy before (I'm in managment) I checked my corporate handbook and the sick leave policy... show more I took a day off from work hoping to feel better and my job calls me in the middle of the day and says i can't come back unless i have a doctor's note. I only called off for that day and I have never heard this policy before (I'm in managment) I checked my corporate handbook and the sick leave policy is unclear. All I was hoping to do was take one day and get my strength back so I could perform at work. I wasn't planning on going to the doctor, any advice on how to handle this one?

FYI....my regional and supervisor are very catty women and make matters extremely difficult for all employees. So I have a feeling they're going to make this a dramatic situation.
Update: I just wanted to add I never call off or am I late, EVER! I'm just am really sick and thought I could take a day to get better.
Update 2: I live in chicago. And I never even heard of self certification? Anyways....I'm trying to get into my doc, but I'm not having any success with getting an appointment today (Saturday), I have to wait until Monday to get in. Do I call off those days too; I'm scheduled to work?
Update 3: this is what the sick leave policy states: if your absent due to illness, medical evidence of your illness and/or medical certification of your fitness to return to work (satisfactory to the company) may be required before sick pay will be granted and/or before you are allowed to return to work. Please advice... show more this is what the sick leave policy states: if your absent due to illness, medical evidence of your illness and/or medical certification of your fitness to return to work (satisfactory to the company) may be required before sick pay will be granted and/or before you are allowed to return to work.

Please advice your supervisor as soon as possible and in any event prior to the beginning of your shift that you will be absent due to illness or a medical appt.