For those who credit God for the safety of the passengers of Flight 1549, do you also credit Him?

for the fatalities of Flight 3407?

Why were all the passengers of Flight 1549 spared, but not all the passengers of Flight 3407?

I've seen several comments attributing God to the "miracle" of Flight 1549 (not giving any credit to the pilot himself). Someone said here the other day that passengers of Flight 1549 were praying and that's why they survived. Surely there were folks praying on Flight 3407 when it was apparent they were going to crash. Surely there were good people aboard Flight 3407 that didn't deserve to die.

Can we really attribute this simply to "God's will" and say it has nothing to do with the weather conditions, the mechanics of the aircraft, the pilots' abilities, etc.? And if so - why did God deem one flight worthy of saving and the other as not?

I really don't understand.

Smokey - so we are just supposed to sit back and never ask any questions when things don't make sense to us? If that is the case, then why did God give us brains with the ability to think for ourselves?

SanJose - excellent point.

Favorite Answer

I think everything happens for a reason. I feel very sorry for the loved ones that lost someone on that flight but my opinion on the afterlife is very different than the Christian concept. Dying is not a bad thing to me, I know that we go on and I don't think that anyone dies by accident. I don't think that those who died on 3407, died as a punishment or that the creator turned it's back on them.

To me the logical explanations are as important as the spiritual ones, It all goes together.

I find it interesting and a bit confusing why some people think that "God's plan" doesn't include those things you mentioned, like the pilot and the weather conditions. I mean, the Divine exists in everything right? Even in us. So we are all a part of the experiences that happen, we all contribute something to everything that happens. We are all connected, intertwined.

Those people who died were meant to go, it was their time. Those who didn't die on the other plane, were supposed to live. Their lives will forever be changed by that experience and each and every one of them were meant to go through that. Some might have received a boost of their faith because they prayed. Others may have realized what is really important in life. Some man on that plane might have realized he spent too much time at work, instead of with his family. So many things may have been going through their minds and so many changes may result from their experience. The deaths on the other flight, may bring other family members closer together. I have seen many things healed within my own family, the catalyst being the death of a family member.

In my opinion, everything is in Divine working order at all times. I attribute what happened on both flights to that concept and I think that concept encompasses rationality and spirituality, mechanics and metaphysics, weather, skill etc., all of it, works in the flow of our Universe and is in sync.

*edit*

Thanks for asking such a good question. :)

As a former New Yorker, I personally was disgusted when I heard Governor Paterson coin the moniker: "Miracle on the Hudson."

I find it highly unfortunate that people need to discount physics, technology and human intervention and need to grasp for supernatural means. A lot of people were heroic that day, but I did not see a cloud-like hand cradle the plane to safety in the video of the crash.

I assume that faith in the supernatural is a heavy burden since it is backed by no physical proof, making it easier for people to look at tragedies with happy endings as acts of god. You obviously can't use that invalid reasoning without dismissing similar tragedies with less fortunate endings, such as your example of flight 3407.

• Because it was their time to die, this was an unfortunate but natural cause with no ill will.(So far from what we heard,and no im not being dismissive about their deaths)

The devil gets blamed when sin is involved i.e. ( bad/evil intentions) like when one person is intentionally doing bad with the sole purpose of getting rid or causing harm to another person.

Hence comes in the factor of free will which god gave to everyone, to make their own choices and whatnot. To be with good intentions =Christ or to be with bad intentions= Satan.

But people are going to die regardless, and nowhere does it state that god promised everyone is going to have a peaceful death in their slumber.

The other flight that survived with those passengers weren't meant to die yet, yet there's nothing wrong from with thanking god that they still have time on earth to be with their families.

With concerning death though most people see it as a terrible thing because we know NOTHING about it ,yet like the other poster said it could be the best thing that happens to us on the other side.

AND....Science knows NOTHING about how the earth was created and what happens after death. There is only SPECULATION not solid proof. So for people that mock Christianity for our lack of evidence, you guys have no solid proof either, ONLY speculation. You have no solid proof that completely cuts out the evidence of God. And also concerning the beginning of space and time, and where did god come from, I think the answer to that would be far too complicated for brains to comprehend to be honest, big bang or not.

I tell you what though Id rather be safe than sorry, least Id know I lived a noble life.

Source(s): My Heart

I love this kind of "mind games"... I believe in karma, more than in a "God". So I don't think that a God may save some people and kill others, I believe everyone has his/her own Karma/Destiny, so everyone is always in the right place with the right people (even if it's a killer)... I visualize this story of the prayer only as a karma test. Even more, for some reason people think we are saved when we keep living, but perhaps true salvation is to be dead.

Blessed Be!

Lilith/Psychic Advisor

No one says that was all to be read as a salvation, it could be a condemnation for some.

And admitting that dual nature of the fates of people, you might say, Well then dying must always be condemnation. No, not true either.

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. Socrates

Even the pilot of 1549 did NOT credit "God" with saving them. He said it was training and luck. "Everyone did their job, and did it well"

Gravity is not a theory, it is fact!

BB

)O(

The passengers of flight 3407 are in Heaven now, God needed them for His Armageddon Army.

The passengers of flight 1549 weren't needed yet. Or were saved by Satan.

It's all part of God's plan, who works in mysterious ways.

Their excuse will be that the fatalities of Flight 3407 were the 'devils' fault. The 'devil' is their favorite scapegoat.

I've never even heard of those flights (not American or British), so can't say anything about that.

What I can say is that you know what, God rejoices when believers die, because they get to be with Him afterwards. It's the way you look at death that determines your attitude about it.

It is things like this why "Satan" was invented....if god is to be all good all giving, etc...then how do we explain all the bad stuff....we must create an anti-god...instead of goodness and light...badness and dark.