I bought my house in Feb of 2008 how come I can't get the $8000 tax break???!?!?!?!?

In doing my taxes I see that if you bought a house after April of 2008 you can get up to $8000... I bought my house in Feb. why can't I get any of this money?!

Favorite Answer

Simple because Feb is before April. and it was not 8000. last year it was up to 7500.00 if house was under 75000. it would only be 10% of price of the house. and if you income was larger the amount of credit lowers. Sorry

you're actually not eligible for the $8000 credit in case you purchased in 2008. That credit grew to become into no longer made retroactive to 2008. you are going to be eligible for the 2008 $7500 reimbursable credit.

First off, the FTHB is $7,500, not $8,000. You don't qualify because you closed in Feb, 2008, which is outside of the eligibility window.

The intent of the credit (actually an interest-free loan) was to help trigger people to buy a home. You had already bought a home so they weren't interested in throwing you a bone.